Coco View? Roatan in July? Do's & Don'ts?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Can anyone provide some insight here. I only have logged (10) dives, newly certified june 02, but the threads i've read on Roatan seem like it's definitely a place to go. What about a non-diver. My wife went all the way to OW cert dive and aborted 2nd dive and did not complete cert, she may attempt again but depends on place, instructor, etc. Would AKR or CoCo be a place for us? I saw the dolphin excursion, horseback, some beach which she may like. But is this a place to try to recertify or are the caymans better (viz, shallow, DM's, etc)?

Thoughts?

Also, when is the best time to go? Looking for less crowds, calm seas and beautiful weather (if possible).

waterdogs.

Waterdogs,

CoCo View is a SUPER place to go and relax for a week and dive dive dive. No phones, No tV's. Probably NOT a good place for a non diver to go--there isnt much to do except read (they have a small library) and lay out in the sun and snorkle a bit.

We have been to CoCo View many many times and feel like family there. We stayed at Fantasy Island next door this year, because of a great special they were having, and we liked it --although the dive masters and operations were not as good. Better place for a non diver though. Ive heard the same about Anthonys Key also and some of the other spots as well.

We always go in Oct or Nov because of the rates but thats the rainy season. This year the weather was absolutely perfect! Usually though you see a little rain at some point during the week. The Vis is pretty good, but Mexico is better. I want to go to Caymans too because I have heard the Vis there is outstanding. October crowds are nil. The resort only holds about 50 people anyway so crowds are not a problem!

CoCO View is superb for the beginner diver, as the dive crew always is attentive and goes that extra mile to make sure you are comfortable and have everything you need.

I have some great pics if you would like to see them!

Meredith

My first trip to CCV was in Oct one year...I swore I'd never go during rainy season again! I rained 24 hours a day the whole week we were there. It didn't effect our diving but I sure got tired of damp sheets and towels! Since then I have fallen in love with CCV and truth be known, I'll go anytime I get the chance!

Waterdogs,
If you're wife wants to try scuba again, the instructors at CCV are excellent. And you couldn't ask for a better place to do check out dives.

The best time of year to go depends on what's more important to you. You're asking for 'less crowds, calm seas and beautiful weather'...all 3 don't happen at once! You'll find less crowds in the rainy months of Sept/Oct to Jan/Feb. (I must say, though, that I've been there several times when the resort is full {48 guests} and you'd never see everyone unless it was at supper at night.) My favorite weather happens in March, April and May, right after the rainy season. The air temps are warm but not yet hot, in the high 80's during the day, and the nights are cooled with sea breezes. All but a very few rooms at CCV are on the water. We usually go during March or April and generally have to have a light blanket at night.

Some non-divers love CCV for it's laid back, lazy days. Reading, swinging in the hammock, sunning, etc. are right there at your door. If they want to do some shopping or other activity, it can easily be arranged with the Activities Director. The dolphin show at AKR, horseback riding, rental jeep, etc. can all be scheduled in the office.

So go and check it out...I promise you'll love it!

thanks Okiediver1 and Dee for the information. I would go anytime, but the problem of course I am having (like many others) is trying to make sure my significant other enjoys herself more than i do since she may not retake her cert. It sounds and would be great for me, for her, don't know.

my schedule is flexible so i could go today, march april sound good, we are planning a return trip back to St.John in July for Carnival so it would be a nice quarterly travel opportunity.

thanks again for the advice. I do like AKR just because we are NOT NOT serious divers, I would like to be but I don't think that would be fair to my wife. Seem's like more to do at AKR for BOTH, not just me.

thanks again.

waterdogs

CCV is definately the place for die hard divers. If you only want/need a couple dives a day and lots of other activities, then AKR would probably be the better choice for you.

I'm very excited -- my wife and I will be leaving for AKR in just over one month (Feb 8-15th). We tried to stay at CCV, but they were booked full.

Good to see all the discussion on Roatan and Coco View. We're looking into a trip there but are wondering about the safety for travelers to Roatan. The US State Department states that 3 Americans have been killed there since 1998. What's the current situation?
Thanks for any feedback.

We have been every year for awhile and never once did we feel threatened or scared in any way!

All the people have been nothing but nice every trip, even 1 week after Sept 11 (what were we thinking?!). We were a little nervous but we had our trip scheduled long in advance and craved the Prince Albert.

Just booked my trip to CCV. I am so psyched. I have looked all over for negative things about this place and just cant seem to find anyone that would turn me off. The positives outweigh the negs by a lot.

We have dove off Cozumel (awesome drift dive on the Santa Rosa wall) Cayman (the visibility there is simply incredible) The keys and the east FL coast and Puerto Rico (desecheo and Mona islands are spectacular.

I have read everything I can about CCV, But I have one question. Will the boat trips take us to the famous spots like spooky channel , hole in the wall or mary's place? I would hate to miss out on these sites.

Can anyone add some insight? WE will be there from Aug 16th through the 28th. We want to dive our butts off

Thanks!:D

You'll go to Mary's place. There's a whole proceedure and briefing they do now, but truthfully I wasn't that impressed, maybe just me. Calvins crack seemed like a better dive for that type of topography (you'll go there too). Hole in the Wall is on the north side of the island, so - no you will not go there. I'm not familier with Spooky Channel and couldn't find it on my dive site map. You will have fun and get in plenty of dives. We did 21 in the week and we never got around to night dives which are really easy. We just ran out of steam by that time of day. Remember to slow down and look at the little stuff!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom