Cocos Island January vs June and which boat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not sure if it will become a permanent thing or not, but Nautilus is another option - Nautilus Liveaboards - Cocos Island Costa Rica
I was booked on the Nautilus Explorer in July for the Sea of Cortez. Without seeking my consent, my booking was moved to the Nautilus Undersea. I discovered this change after I arrived in Mexico, where I met other guests on Nautilus Undersea to whom the same thing had happened. One of them had back to back trips booked on Nautilus Explorer only to turn up in Mexico to find that her bookings had been transferred, without her consent, to Nautilus Undersea followed by Nautilus Belle Amie.

The above statements are, to the best of my knowledge, statements of fact.

I am led to believe that the bookings were transferred away from Nautilus Explorer because that boat was being diverted to Cocos.

My experience with changes to bookings initiated by the boat is always done with the knowledge and consent of the guest. For example, I have an upcoming cruise on the Ambai for which I had booked a twin share in a cabin below deck. The Ambai wanted to relocate me to the CD cabin above deck on a sole occupancy basis. They sought my expressed consent before they would do what is effectively an upgrade. The reason for the change is that they had a rescheduled charter that wanted the rest of the boat and mine was the only booking at the time. The max number of guests on the boat was not exceeded as one of the guests in the charter wanted a twin cabin on a sole occupancy basis.

Nautilus does not behave like other companies so booking with them may be a bonus adventure in itself.

I should make it clear that Nautilus did inform my travel agent about the change of boats. According to my travel agent, Nautilus advised them of the change in boats by simply changing the boat name in the final confirmation without drawing attention to the change. (The initial booking confirmation was for Nautilus Explorer.)

My travel agent failed to notice the change in boat name, therefore they failed to advise me of the change.

Irrespective of whether Nautilus did or did not gave good notice of the change in boats, they did not seek the consent of either my travel agent or myself for the change of boats.

Sorry. For whatever the reason, I was under the impression that Nautilus was using the Nautilus Undersea. Now I find that it is the Explorer instead. Maybe they got oversubscribed with Cocos trip requests and went with a larger boat.

Cetacean: yes, indeed, those were the good old days when you could do both Malpelo and Cocos on the same trip. I did it in 2005 on the Sea Hunter. My understanding at the time was that Colombia raised the fees to foreign-flagged boats, making it prohibitively expensive. Whatever it may have been, it was a good trip option while it lasted, with the crossings being the only not-so-good thing - I think it was 40-some hours from Puntarenas in CR to Malpelo, and another 40-some hours from Malpelo to Cocos. But I will never forget the one dive in Sahara with Nico as our dive guide - still one of my top dives ever: over a hundred hammerheads on the sandy bottom, a dozen Galapagos sharks around some small pinnacles, big school of yellowfins, then a whaleshark, and finally about a hundred silkies.

Whatever the reason, it appears that Nautilus is an innovative company that does things in new and innovative ways. Should we commend Nautilus for being so innovative?

Hi everyone
The sea hunter does not have twin style cabins available for June
Both aggressor boats have spaces the okeanos has a 12 night trips and has both bunk and single (I have been on this boat when it was the wind dancer) and the cocos aggressor has 10 nights trips
RIBs vs fiberglass I am not actually bothered I dive from 12 meters RIB in Italy and I prefer the RIB bottoms to the fiberglass for my camera
Nautilus is not offering trips at present

I was booked on the Nautilus Explorer in July for the Sea of Cortez. Without seeking my consent, my booking was moved to the Nautilus Undersea. I discovered this change after I arrived in Mexico, where I met other guests on Nautilus Undersea to whom the same thing had happened. One of them had back to back trips booked on Nautilus Explorer only to turn up in Mexico to find that her bookings had been transferred, without her consent, to Nautilus Undersea followed by Nautilus Belle Amie.

The above statements are, to the best of my knowledge, statements of fact.

I am led to believe that the bookings were transferred away from Nautilus Explorer because that boat was being diverted to Cocos.

My experience with changes to bookings initiated by the boat is always done with the knowledge and consent of the guest. For example, I have an upcoming cruise on the Ambai for which I had booked a twin share in a cabin below deck. The Ambai wanted to relocate me to the CD cabin above deck on a sole occupancy basis. They sought my expressed consent before they would do what is effectively an upgrade. The reason for the change is that they had a rescheduled charter that wanted the rest of the boat and mine was the only booking at the time. The max number of guests on the boat was not exceeded as one of the guests in the charter wanted a twin cabin on a sole occupancy basis.

Nautilus does not behave like other companies so booking with them may be a bonus adventure in itself.
I'll be in Sea of Cortez in 2-9 September. Originally we are supposed to be in Nautilus Explorer. Later on my agent told me that the boat is changed to Nautilus Belle Amie. I'm OK with that as Belle Amie is nicer boat than Explorer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom