CoCo View, Roatan, Honduras--

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Honestly this is the place that divers come to try and figure out what has happened to other divers when there are accidents, in hopes of learning something. Speculation is often all that we have, small bits of information and then the dive community tries to make some sense of it all. Unfortunatley because of lawsuits and such, we never get any concrete information from the involved parties.

I love CCV and have dove there several times and it will always be one of the places I visit every year, but we have to understand that first, I don't think anyone is trying to place blame on CCV...
Also, you have to expect these kinds of questions when you operate a dive facility and people have accidents, and if for legal reasons they cannot give the details then people are going to try and figure out, speculate etc...
I know I still wonder about what happened there several years ago. I am sure whatever it was has been corrected, but again because we don't have that information people have to try to make some sense of it. My thoughts and prayers go out to my CCV family.

I really feel awful for the daughter, I am sure she is absolutley lost with all of this, and I can tell you that is what I think of. I can't imagine the pain she must be going through. My deepest condolenses goes out the the entire family and I hope that their healing can begin, it is so awful to lose a family member no matter what the circumstances are, and I can't imagine what it would be like to be there and not able to rescue your mother..

I understand your point, citydiver, however, I have read threads in the past that went from speculation to downright rudeness and blaming the diver using very unkind remarks. I actually retired from Scubaboard for about 6 months because of people's callus attitudes and remarks about diver's deaths. I believe that respect and privacy are very important to aide in healing after a tragedy such as the recent one at CCV. And like you, I still wonder what happened to a beloved DM and another diver almost two years ago at CCV.

Sticky threads are supposed to be required reading before posting on a forum, but so many do not. One of the very important stipulation on this forum is that no names be used, not the injured/deceased diver, not the buddy, not a boat captain or dock master, not a DM, not a reporter, no one's name at all. I think the reason for this is so that we can discuss Accidents & Incidents objectively - including some degree of speculation within the parameters of the special rules below, not to convict or blame, but to learn - all without names so a loved one running an Internet search on a name doesn't hit on our nameless discussions. See more here...
Special rules - Please Read

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The purpose of this forum is the promotion of safe diving through accident analysis.
Accurate analysis of accidents and incidents that could easily have become accidents is essential to building lessons learned from which improved safety can flow. To foster the free exchange of information valuable to this process, the "manners" in this forum are much more tightly controlled than elsewhere on the board. In addition to the TOS:

(1) Events will be "scrubbed" of names. You may refer to articles or news releases already in the public domain, but the only name you may use in this forum is your own.
(2) No "blamestorming." Accident analysis does not "find fault" - it finds hazards - and how to reduce or eliminate them.
(3) No flaming, name calling or otherwise attacking other posters. You may attack ideas; you may not attack people.
(4) No trolling.
(5) Remember that you cannot read minds. Restrict comments to what happened and how to prevent it, without speculating on what someone else was thinking (or not). The only thoughts you are qualified to share are your own.

It is important for us as a community to assess and discuss diving accidents and incidents as a means of preventing them. However, once emotions are involved intelligent discussion becomes next to impossible. If the moderators feel that the discussion is getting out of hand in any thread they may close or remove the thread, with or without notice.
Again, "It is important for us as a community to assess and discuss diving accidents and incidents as a means of preventing them. However, once emotions are involved intelligent discussion becomes next to impossible," regardless of whether it is the loss of a DM, a Texas tourist diver, a mother, or whomever - the intent is to discuss possible causes and lessons to be learned without emotional connections.

News seems to be very difficult to obtain from Roatan, much less facts. Based on what has been offered so far, it does sound like a precious life was lost needlessly due to one or more errors on the part of a less experienced diver, ie. ignoring the advisement from the much more experienced at the resort to not dive, as well as perhaps a failure to ensure buoyancy.

Aside from the purpose of this forum, I certainly sympathize with the horrible impact that this loss muct have had on the family, loved ones, the resort & guests there - and my sincere condolences do go out to them.

I strongly support the free discussion of Accident analysis as possible on this forum, tho; I hope no one will become emotionally involved with this discussion; and if they do, that they'll just put the forum on their ignore list.

I want to echo and extend DD's comments. I made a deep save a few months ago. In part, I will venture, because I've spent time on this forum learning from accidents, and working what-ifs in my mind. I think SB should consider creating a sub-forum for people to grieve on and leave this as an absolutely factual and analytical forum.

Separate the functions. I'm not saying one is more important than the other - they just don't mix very well.

LAJim:
I want to echo and extend DD's comments. I made a deep save a few months ago. In part, I will venture, because I've spent time on this forum learning from accidents, and working what-ifs in my mind. I think SB should consider creating a sub-forum for people to grieve on and leave this as an absolutely factual and analytical forum.

Separate the functions. I'm not saying one is more important than the other - they just don't mix very well.

Typically we encourage members to post condolence threads in other places- usually in the appropriate regional forum & use this forum for accident analysis as it is intended.

Well said everybody.... Bratface, I understand where you are coming from there are some posters here who can be very inappropriate and down right nasty. I have learned so much from this board, it has been extremely helpful to my diving, I hope other can continue to learn as well without it becoming a witch hunt so to speak....

Happy and safe diving...

diver 85:
Very sorry to hear....that's the 2nd one in a year and a half there, sounds as if both accidents were from shore diving......My condolences to the family & friends....

That's more like four in the last year and a half to two years. A dive master and an experienced diver died at CCV, I'm thinking June 2005 on the same dive. Waited for the out come of that investigation and never did hear anything about it.

Rick

angles8:
That's more like four in the last year and a half to two years. A dive master and an experienced diver died at CCV, I'm thinking June 2005 on the same dive. Waited for the out come of that investigation and never did hear anything about it.

Rick
True, that was promised by CCV - never saw it, and they certainly know were were asking for it here.

On this loss, I see nothing wrong with CCV handling, tho - nothing has been presented anyway.

If I recall correctly, it was determined that bad air that caused the diver deaths in 2005. But I don't remember if there was anything "official".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom