CoCo View, Roatan, Honduras--

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

easyrider

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Anyone hear of an accident in CoCo View, Roatan, Honduras this last weekend a friend at work was telling me something about it but didn't know too much about what happened ??

I was in Roatan last week, did not stay at COCO View but was talking to the instructor at the resort I was staying before leaving and he mentioned to me about the accident. All he knew was that it was a shore dive and that a family went out together. Daughter came back with 200 psi mother never came back they searched for her. The body later turned up at the FI resort docks.

That sounds similar to what i've heard. our thoughts and prayers go out to this family.

Condolences to the family friends and dive buddies. Interesting situation as I dove there last Jan. 06 and it was a not deep or difficult dive in the area between CCV and FI.
Would like to hear more details....

Very sorry to hear....that's the 2nd one in a year and a half there, sounds as if both accidents were from shore diving......My condolences to the family & friends....

Wow...I had not heard about this. Does anyone have any other information as to what happened? I have been to cocoview twice and both times we had a great trip, they run a very safe operation, and I always felt like everything there was up to par and that they were ready and willing to make your trip safe and fun. Has anyone heard about what they think happened? I was on the cocoview board but did not see anything. This so so sad and unfortunate...my thoughts and prayers go out to the family.

Ocean One:
Condolences to the family friends and dive buddies. Interesting situation as I dove there last Jan. 06 and it was a not deep or difficult dive in the area between CCV and FI. Would like to hear more details....

This brings up one of the primary points of diving. Conditions change.

When you, Ocean One went diving in that area, it was probably fairly calm and hospitable. At CCV, they have a sign system that announces the conditions of the Front Yard dive site.

The dive site was flagged as red, "No diving today, the bar is open" due to the rough weather. From anecdotal (third hand) reports, the diver in question had about 25 logged dives and elected to do the dive nevertheless.

We all want "more details" as you requested, Ocean One, but in any case involving personal injury, release of such details is dependant upon agreements between involved parties~ whoever they may be. We will know what we are told by them.

The best lesson so far? Understand that conditions change- this could mean temperature, surface conditions (waves), visibility, and current. One diver's "easy dive" might be a handful for someone else.

man....*sigh.
how tragic. i cant even imagine. This is so much a reality check for me. I can sometimes be fearless - while always staying within my training and comfort limits. but still. i have never really considered the idea of dying while diving. Even in those six foot seas with heavy current.

condolences to the family and friends.

I have done that same shore dives many times....and so has Doc....I have gone out in flat calm seas with excellant viz and on the way back in have encountered low viz and strong currrents....just getting to the Prince Albert and following the chain up to the dive platform was a feat...if the sign posted at the gear locker says no diving the bar is open you best go to the bar....tomorrow is another day.... very tragic for the family...:(

parrotheaddiver:
I have done that same shore dives many times....and so has Doc....I have gone out in flat calm seas with excellant viz and on the way back in have encountered low viz and strong currrents....just getting to the Prince Albert and following the chain up to the dive platform was a feat...if the sign posted at the gear locker says no diving the bar is open you best go to the bar....tomorrow is another day.... very tragic for the family...:(

Been there, done that. And unfortunately, lost a friend there several years ago, although her death was not due to ocean conditions, but rather to health issues.

In any event, follow the resorts recommendations as to diving conditions. There's always tomorrow.

And, my condolences to the family. What a tragedy.

Back
Top Bottom