Cochran Gemini for CCR?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi,

A quick follow-up question - does anyone know exactly which Sea Hornet valve is needed? Also, who is their US distributor?

Thanks,
C

I purchased mine directly from australia by an internet sale.. with the exchange rate the valves were real cheap even with shipping

the part number is 220dv1

attached is a picture of the valve.

I finally got my factory AP cylinders today and I noticed a different valve on them.

Specifically, my instructors OMS tanks had din valves with this squarish projection sticking upwards, or downwards since the cylinders are upside down.

I could have enlarged the valve handle clearance port on the sides of the ABS shell, but the entire cylinder and valve is still too long for the case, and it requires the case be flexed around still.

But back to my AP tanks, the cylinders do not have those same projections sticking out, instead they have a plastic green cap and a plastic black cap that screws into the top of the din valve. This now makes for some very short compact vavles, which ought to fit on the OMS tanks, although at this stage since the AP cylinders are made by Faber, I can't imagine getting hassled about diluent or oxygen fills by anyone in the know....

If they are not DOT they are illegal!

The AP cylinders are definate illegal.. they are manufactured to much easier standards.. Weigh each cyllinder when empty.. the standard DOT faber cylinders are SEVERAL pounds heaver and still have a LOWER pressure rating... The US DOT os ver strict, judgling by weight my guess is that the AP cylinders would meet DOT standards for 2015 pressure but they would have to be certified.

You can probably get them filled by someone who knows you but they are risking a fine... its not illegal for you to own it, its a grey area within your own state to transport it, but it will be illegal to cross state lines.. (if you go more than 3 miles off shore you are doing this)

The valves I showed are very short, the regs fit on perfectly and the overal length is no problem... the length is just about 1/4 to long where the valve knob comes out so the hole has to be enlarged..

Aside from technical legalities, (it is a crime to be in any kind of small business in California or New Jersey)is there any advantages to using OMS cylinders? Such as do they carry more gas, or are they lighter, if so by how much, and is there are their different bouyancy characteristics?

Currently I use about 18lbs in the harness and maybe 7 in the top pouch. If I empty all the air out of my BC and drysuit, I will SLOWLY start to sink, so I don't think I can dump anymore weight.

seems still like a lot of weight to me...

When I started diving the inspiration with my dry suit I needed a total of 30 lbs in salt water.. I now only dive with 8 lbs on top(make it very easy to go head down to look in holes, slightly top heavy, with a bailout bottle a 30 or 40 I'm just about perfectly trim), if I have a student with me I add 8lbs more so I could hold someone down if necessary.... The large lungs have about 30lbs of lift when full.. You can add a backplate (I dont use it) to take some wight off your belt if you truely need that much weight.

The oms tanks are slightly more negative than stock tanks when full. if careful you can actually get the cover on with luxfer alum 19 cf tanks with the valves, I have shown above.. They are noticably more buoyant and I have to add a few lbs..

I totally purge my drysuit before entering the water.. I dive with minimum volume in counterlungs..

I am 210 using a DUI cf300 with 2 layers of polartec underwear..

Back
Top Bottom