Cochran Dive Computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cochhran computers are amazing. They can be the most libral or the most conservitve computer on the market. They read whether you are in salt water or fresh and calculate for it. They also have a flight recorder in them. Cochran's do sample readings every second were most read every 9 seconds. I really like the MC-20. It is a 20 tissue computer where most others are 8 to 10. If you get a Cochran you won't be dissapointed.

When Bikini was still open for diving .... here's the list of computers you shouldn't bring.

Cochran Computers on Bikini Atoll

Saw a lot of them crap out on charters in the past. Haven't really seen one in years.

Just saw one ebay starting at $5.50......nuf said!

tb

And I have seen that the Bikini issues were that people didn't read their manuals or understand what the computer (which was operating 100% correctly) was displaying them.... hardly a computer issue.

As to your e-bay comment, yes, obsolete (discontinued) models do fetch low prices - I think there are many other brands with similar pricing.

I have an EMC-16 that I would like to sell because I have retired from diving. The computer is like new, only 58 dives on it (replaced a similar model that was stolen). I had two Cochran computers, one used on a console the other on my wrist. Because of my remote dive sites in the west Pacific it was good insurance to have 2 computers on each dive, just in case one malfunctioned for some reason. If you were diving with one and it screwed up, the standard procedure is to sit out dives for 24 hours. When you spend big bucks to travel you can''t afford to sit out. Neither Cochran ever malfunctioned and provided good service. The batteries are replaceable without losing the stored data. The data is backlite and there are many alarms that can be set as well as the O2 content for Nitrox diving. It is used by the US Navy because of the stored info, durability and easy readout.
I would like to sell mine for $350, but can negotiate.:cool2:

My email address has changed to wiltonnelson@mac.com
I don't know how to change the address on ScubaBoard

Last edited:
I got a Commander with my rig which I bought used. Log had over 400 dives on it. The computer seems to work fine for me (rec diving only so far). I called Cochran about getting the time and date corrected. I talked to the guy for a while and he suggested I get the log dumped as his words "they can get kinda flaky when the memory gets near full". They referred me to a local service shop and they were unable to get the interface to work. I picked it up today as I need it this weekend for trip to Catalina. Planning on calling Cochran next week to see if sending it to them will do me any good. As far as the customer service, the one time I called and left a message they called back within the hour. The local rep said they are doing a lot of business on thermal imaging for the military and federal govt types and seem to putting most of their resources into that very profitable area.

Cochran Computers are outstanding and they are underestimated.
The Chipset and technology are the most advanced computer on the market.
The Company has a primary aim which is work with the military. In that sense oLed display, buttons, etc., are out of the field because the specification in which the user are submit.

The majority of the cases post on internet, on issues about malfunction of Cochran Computer is due to the user NOT reading or Not understanding how to use the product.

Actually, as my knowledge, it's very customize computer if you know how to program it or us it. (For example you can skip very deep stop to force the computer for work on a more haldanian base model).

It's always my recommendation "on any product and any brand" read the manual, try to understand it and ASK if you don't, to the proper sources.

Gemini case:

In case of the Gemini, is not only one computer, in reality are 2 computers. The one is connected to the cylinder has no display, but it is a computer on its own. Make the same calculations of the wrist computer as serve as backup. This wireless system is bidirectional, and no computer on the market has this quality.

As for the Automatic switch, you should understand how its work and how to use it.

No matter what computer or brand you have, you computer is a backup of your brain, which is your primary dive computer. That is why you should study tables, models, physiology, make your own statistical analysis of your dives and use the same gases. There is no substitution for study and practice.

If you have any question you can send me a messages and gladly I will help you.
Anyone have a Cochran ? What model, what do you think of it ?

We have a GEMINI in the shop that we have been trying to sell for YEARS.. Honestly it is one of computer that you love or you hate. Honestly not a fan, but one of the buddys I dive with loves it.. Once you set your dive plan and gases you are set with that profile while you are in the water.. I like the fact that I can switch my gases "in water" with my shearwater should I lose gas and need to switch to something handed off to me from someone else in the team. It is also one of those computers that you need to know really well, I can't say it is the easiest to navigate the menus and options. If you are interested I am sure we would sell it for a song...

......The majority of the cases post on internet, on issues about malfunction of Cochran Computer is due to the user NOT reading or Not understanding how to use the product........
I offered Cochran to create a nice set of video tutorials for their product ...... no decision so far.

Alberto (aka eDiver)

I offered Cochran to create a nice set of video tutorials for their product ...... no decision so far.

Alberto (aka eDiver)

PLEASE keep pressing. Also an integration with their logs.... Tell them "we" want it!!!

I have a Cochran Gemini and love this computer. However, now that Cochran has shut down their servers (Mike Cochran has passed away) how do we get our PC Logging software to run? Also, Who can perform maintenance on these computers now?

I have a Cochran Gemini and love this computer. However, now that Cochran has shut down their servers (Mike Cochran has passed away) how do we get our PC Logging software to run? Also, Who can perform maintenance on these computers now?

There are a few older threads, search "Cochran" I still have a Cochran EMC-14 that I bought in 2005 from the DAN auction for nearly nothing. Used it as a backup for an Oceanic computer running DSAT. It was the only computer that was a little more liberal. It still runs, changed the batteries a while ago, nobody has dived it for years. Still has sentimental value :)

Back
Top Bottom