Cobra, Vytec, VR3...dillema, please help!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lisa M

Registered
Reaction score
I would really appreciate your advice as I can see benefits in all directions!

I bought a Suunto Cobra from my LDS a little while back and have not used it yet (I've been diving quite a bit, but not with this computer).

I've been diving for about 10 years and have been thinking about getting into some tech diving in the future. I know bottom timers, tables and SPGs are the party line, but I'd still like to have a good computer for rec. diving.

My original thinking with the Cobra was that I liked the hose air integrated concept over the transmitter as it was one less battery and signal interuption was a non-issue.

Now however, I wonder if maybe the Vytec might be a better option knocking off "two birds"...it does what the Cobra does and a bit more (right?) for rec. diving and yet could be a stand alone bottom timer allowing an SPG to be used for Tec. stuff.

My questions are:
1. what do people think about this?
2. what are people's thoughts on hoseless computers?
3. I've seen some interesting things about OMS' VR3...is this a bettr option?

Thank you very much!:)
Lisa

Lisa,

Deja vu....just saw your post over on RSD....

One suggestion would be to go with a Vyper -- can be used in gauge mode if going the techie/tables route.......but is also a good rec computer that is easy to use and reliable.
Same RGBM model and features as the Cobra, ex the air integration.

-Chris

I agree. The Vyper is the last computer you'll need. All you need for tech stuff is the Vyper in gauge mode, backup timer, tables, and a buddy with the same. Not too expensive, eh?

Good luck,

Mike

The Vyper is a great computer, I had one of the first on the market with no problems. I have just sold it and bought the Vytec. I'll post later on its preformance when I get a chance to get out.

My two cents says you can't go wrong with the suunto products which ever one you choose.

TTFN
O2diver

Originally posted by Lisa M
I would really appreciate your advice as I can see benefits in all directions!

I bought a Suunto Cobra from my LDS a little while back and have not used it yet (I've been diving quite a bit, but not with this computer).

I've been diving for about 10 years and have been thinking about getting into some tech diving in the future. I know bottom timers, tables and SPGs are the party line, but I'd still like to have a good computer for rec. diving.

My original thinking with the Cobra was that I liked the hose air integrated concept over the transmitter as it was one less battery and signal interuption was a non-issue.

Now however, I wonder if maybe the Vytec might be a better option knocking off "two birds"...it does what the Cobra does and a bit more (right?) for rec. diving and yet could be a stand alone bottom timer allowing an SPG to be used for Tec. stuff.

My questions are:
1. what do people think about this?
2. what are people's thoughts on hoseless computers?
3. I've seen some interesting things about OMS' VR3...is this a bettr option?

Thank you very much!:)
Lisa

I would Never use an air integrated computer except, 1 that uses a seperate sending device (that can be user replaced) and can be operated without that device and still function less the pressure reading. I have seen many pressure transducers fail over the years and if care is not taked the do become inaccurate.. You are better off using an SPG and a standard computer, the only inmterface I would consider is a PO2/FO2 interface to work with nitrox computers without programming.

I really appreciate hearing all your responses...please don't stop! :) (I check back several times a day..)

The sense I get then is that a wrist computer is preferable to hose integrated .

2 more questions if I may...

With the Vytec (or Vyper) would there be any benefit to keeping the Cobra as a second or backup computer/SPG...or would you think it would be better to just buy an analog SPG and for a "back-up" later get a basic bottom timer(I lent my old SPG to one of my friends and she dropped her tank on it takeing off her bc!) (Any suggestions on SPGs?)

If you think I should sell the Cobra, any suggestions as to how...Ebay? I never even sent the warranty card in...do LDS's ever take trades? Like I mentioned it is brand new in the box...it's never even seen my regulator.

How are transmitters on these, are they reliable?
By the way O2Diver or anyone else, if you don't mind me asking, aproximately how much did the Vytec go for and any suggestions as to where to purchase it? Did you get the transmitter? (My favorite LDS just up and closed 2 months ago :( ).

Woops, that was more than 2 questions. I never was very good at math...sorry.

Thank you all *very* much once again...I look forward to hearing from you! :) :)
Lisa

Lisa,

Keep your Cobra, I can almost promise you that you will love it. I'm sure the Vytec is a great computer, and you can use it with or without the wireless transmitter. However, I've never known anyone with a wireless transmitter that hasn't had problems, and if you use it without the wireless transmitter, you're back to having a computer that provides little more feature-wise than the Cobra. I also wouldn't want the wireless transmitter if I was in anytime of environment like a cave or wreck where there's a chance I might bump my valves and break it off there.

If you're really going to be doing technical diving, you're going to be getting into trimix, and if you really want to "fly your computer" instead of using tables, then you're going to be looking at a Dive Rite Nitek 3 or an Abyss Explorer. Personally I use my Cobra and Vyper, both in guage mode, as I too am just getting into the technical diving. I don't care for the "party line" myself, and I don't find my Cobra any more or less reliable than a SPG.

My suggestion is to keep the Cobra, do a lot of diving with it, and down the road revisit going to another computer. I don't have the link handy, but I recall seeing the Vytec going for $750 online somewhere.

Originally posted by padiscubapro

I would Never use an air integrated computer except, 1 that uses a seperate sending device (that can be user replaced) and can be operated without that device and still function less the pressure reading. I have seen many pressure transducers fail over the years and if care is not taked the do become inaccurate.. You are better off using an SPG and a standard computer, the only inmterface I would consider is a PO2/FO2 interface to work with nitrox computers without programming.

I am going on uwatec experience, but if you loose your sending device you can buy a new one and rematch it. I have a feeling Suunto is doing the same thing. Also the uwatec will work just fine without the pressure transducer it will just give you a warning for about 3 minutes or so. I would be surprised if suunto does not do the same.

Question I have about a wireless computer is during your gas switches are you going to move your pressure transducer also? Or are you just going to have one on each tank...:)

Brian Faure
Austin, Texas
Dive World

Cobra's are junk, you can sell it to me and I'll find some use for it :D

Just kidding, you're getting lots of good advice here so I just couldn't resist.

Lisa,
I would find out who my technical instructor is before I bought any technical equipment or made any gear purchases. Some instructors allow only certain pieces of gear. IE: no AI computers just computers in gauge mode, bottom timers or watches. Research who you are going to take tech training from before making any purchases for that type of diving. Consult the instructor on gear. Unless of course you have unlimited funds that you can afford to try all this equipment. Just my$.02
Ken

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom