• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Cobra 3 - Beep? I can barely hear it

Discussion in 'Computers, Gauges, Watches and Analyzers' started by DitrasetMan, Sep 4, 2012.

1. ScubaSteve

ScubaSteve Wow.....what a DB

# of Dives: 200 - 499

Download the dives to your computer and you will see if alarms have gone off. If you have heard no beeps then I am confused as to this thread. How can you "barely hear" what you have never heard?

2. DitrasetMan

DitrasetMan Nassau Grouper

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    I meant with respect to the ascent alarm. I only heard (barely) the beep underwater when I forced it to beep by going in and out of dive mode.

ScubaSteve likes this.
  3. DuboisP

DuboisP Manta Ray

if you want to be sure to hear a Suunto alarm, you have to put the computer under your hood.
    every Suunto owner will agree.

4. Lorenzoid

Lorenzoid idling in neutral buoyancy ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    As a Suunto fan, I half suspect Suunto believes that their relatively quiet beep is an advantageous feature, not a disadvantage, just as Suunto apparently believes that the relatively conservative RGBM algorithm is an advantageous feature. Suunto does seem to have certain design biases that not everyone shares. I turn all audible alarms off anyway, since I find loud beeping obnoxious. And as I've said in other threads, the conservative algorithm appeals to me.

5. Chill Diver

Chill Diver Nassau Grouper

Diving in Canada, I always use a 7mm hood. No way can I hear my cobra 3 beep. Maybe on a warm water dive trip?

6. DitrasetMan

DitrasetMan Nassau Grouper

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    Newbie dive question: what is a hood?

7. ScubaSteve

ScubaSteve Wow.....what a DB

It is an extension of that annoying extra layer of thermal protection that us "non-warm water snobs" have to wear :D.......many of us while diving in a saline deprived solution.

8. ScubaSteve1962

ScubaSteve1962 Manta Ray

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    A hood either comes on a vest or a collar to keep your head warm, it only leaves mouth, nose and eyes exposed the water. If you dive during the winter months, you'll see someone wearing one. Yes, even in Miami.

SCUBA Diving Hood | Hooded Vest: Wetsuit Wearhouse

9. kroorda

kroorda Nassau Grouper

I agree, 'no news (beeping) is good news' from a dive computer. However, if a person does do something wrong (none of us are perfect), a beep to let us know certainly does not hurt. In fact, it HELPS..... and for some divers, may be just what is needed to wake them up and make them pay attention. The alarms and beeps are there for a reason (as a reminder). If they are so faint that they can't be heard, then it defeats the purpose of having the alarms there at all.

We also should not speed in our cars. But, according to Dr.Mike's theory we don't need police to slow us down when we are 'in violation'.
    If a fellow diver isn't paying attention, I'd rather that their computer beep at them, rather than having that person get DCS and ruin a dive trip for everyone on a liveaboard.