Cobra 2 100% vs 50% RGBM setting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am back from my trip to Turks & Caicos where I dove 5 days................. I dive until the last possible minute and do my safety sop as quick as the compuer lets me before I surface. In other words...right when I hit 550-600 psi, I will head up quickly to my 15 ft safety stop and then surface.

Doing the shortest possible safety stops on a multi day day trip is not anything I would care to do. At safety stop depth on an 80 you would be using around 30psi/minute. Call it 200 psi in seven minutes. A 10 minute safety stop gives a pretty decent buffer compared to a bare minimum 3 minutes.

Of course that will annoy the boat crew if you end up surfacing with less than 500psi,but you know what they say about common sense.

I totally understand what you're trying to say but I don't think you understood me.

I received my open water certification in 1998..and back then it was mostly diving with tables. There was not a lot if any discussion in the class about computers, RGBM, nor was there much of an internet to discuss advanced topics such cutting edge studies on ascent rates and eliminating saw tooth profiles. I took a break from diving for about 4-5 years and then got my advanced certification....at that point in time, I got my first computer. I read the computer manual and talked to my dive instructor....and the word on the street from that time was...just do what the computer tells you to do....if it says to safety stop, do it...if tells you that you are ascending too fast, then ascend slower. No where in my training did anyone tell me I couldn't sawtooth during a dive within reason...as long as I was under the 15 ft safety stop ceiling. And as far as coming up at 500-600 psi...I never said that I was in 80-90 ft of water when I started my ascent....The deepest part of the dive is at the beginning...usually on the wall...and then up at the shallows for the last part of the dive. So, I'm generally coming up from 50 ft or so up to my safety stop...and I have 300-400 psi left when I hit the ladder. I didn't realize that was such a horrible practice....being that I always have plenty of air while I'm at my safety stop in 15 ft of water.

So after reading this thread, I sent my dive profile to a poster in this thread and he told me that he suspected that I was doing something wrong in my dives and that Suunto is penalizing me for those things (the reason for the BT difference between Suunto and Oceanic). So I sent him my dive logs and he showed me #1...my sawtooth actions and #2 that I violate my ascent rate a lot. That's when we discussed ascending too fast...and why I did that, etc. My thought was that the computer would take care of everything and as long as I ascended as slow as possible and didn't violate my safety stop, then I was good to go. I learned that was incorrect and I tried to improve on it....and I'm trying to stay longer on my safety stops than 3 minutes...even though that's all that my computer tells me to do. But still...back to the point of this thread...the Suunto is MUCH more conservative than Oceanic...no matter how much care I take. I know I wasn't penalized 15 minutes for my single blown safety stop at the beginning of the Saturday dive #1.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom