Cobra 2 100% vs 50% RGBM setting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A, I hear you, but we were breathing the same air (21%), dove the same profile, the only difference were the computers. Our accents were controlled and we did safety stops at 15'.

You are right, its not worth it to get bent, but then why make multiple algorithms for the recreational diver to use?

The dive operator warned us at the beginning of our diving that this would be an issue as they see it on a weekly basis for those divers that use Suunto computers. This is the second time in 6 months that we have been told this by the dive operator.

It appears that Suunto works best for diving above 60' and has its issues when doing multiple deep dives to 100' multiple days in a row.

As I said earlier, our next trip will be interesting with my new Geo 2.0.

If you don't want to be limited by your computer and don't care about your health you can do as one of the dive guides in Cozumel does. He sets his computer to Nitrox 24% and dives on air.

Adam

I was told 29%, but I suppose you are just playing it safe.:):):)

All dive computers are an ESTIMATE of the effect of diving on the diver's body. Dive medicine is not a precise calculation. One computer is not 'right' and the other is wrong. The designer of the computer algorithm is making an estimate of what is safe for the diver based on inexact research done by various researchers. There is no one correct answer. It is completely possible that the Suunto is the best (safest) model and the others are dangerous. Or vice versa.

If you want to maximize repetitive bottoms times then go ahead, but you must realize you are increasing your risk of a chamber ride. If you don't like what your computer says, you can ignore it or buy a new one. But you are adding risk. Dive whatever you want but if you keep adding risk then at some point you'll have a problem. Fake the nitrox setting? Sure, go for it. But if you know so much better than the designers and researchers, then why are you following a stupid computer? Why waste money on a computer? Just do what you want and track your time with a watch.

It appears that I have asked one of those questions that disturbs most of you and that was not my goal. I was trying to learn about a setting on my computer. While researching my question, I discovered that Suunto is a very conservative line of computers and that there are several manufacturers with different algorithms.

Every time we dive, we all enter the risk zone, some more than others. And yes, it up to the individual diver to determine that level for himself.

It also appears that those who use more liberal computers really are not interested in posting on a question related to Suunto computers.

My mistake-I need to address my questions to those who use other computer brands.

Thanks for you input and comments. SD

OBTW, in hundreds of dives, I have never had a DM say "don't let your computer go in to deco mode"....... maybe others have. In reality, a 5 minute deco obligation from 20 meters at 3 or 5 meter ceiling is the same ascent profile as a non-deco diver following the recommended safety stop. Normally, these small deco obligations clear themselves during slow (safe) multi-level ascent.

In tourists areas, they always say it. On many boats, they even check the computers, which is just silly, because it means that many divers just descend, leave their computers on the hang bar and go diving without a computer to make the crew happy.

Or as mentioned above dive air with computers set to nitrox.

"The map is not the territory"

We will be diving wrecks in the Keys next month and I would like to dive with a computer that will allow me to maximize my bottom time.
be the 50% setting will get me closer to some of the more liberal computers.

Thoughts???

Buy a second,more liberal and reasonably inexpensive computer.

Keep the liberal computer out of deco. Only surface once the Suunto is happy.

That would give you longer dives,the same low DCS risk you currently have,a backup computer in case one dies on a trip and keeps the "no deco" divemasters happy.

I'm really glad that this thread was started. I ran into the same issue with my Cobra 2 on the 4th day of a trip to Grand Cayman last year. My newly certified fiance was using my Mom's Oceanic computer with me of course using the Suunto Cobra 2. We were on our second deep dive of the day and I was following around the divemaster through swimthoughs of silversides. I noticed that my dive was going to be cut short because I was reaching my NDL...and then I got focused on looking at this and that...the next time I looked at my Cobra 2, it was in Deco mode and I about freaked. I couldn't believe I let myself go past my NDL.

Anwway, I did my recommended deco stops for about 20 min while everyone else kept diving as normal below me. My fiance who dove every dive with me that week wasn't even close to her NDL. And like Scuba Duner said, it kind of sucks that I missed out on 20 min of the best dive of the week if I didn't have to. I had not heard of this 50% RBGM setting so will research it. I've never heard of setting the computer to 24% nitrox and diving with air either.

I am headed to Turks & Caicos soon and don't want a repeat of this issue so I'm going to dive Nitrox for the first time. I hate that it will cost me an extra $110 for a week of nitrox just to keep up with my fiance's computer. I love my Cobra 2 and I want to keep it so if there is a setting I can use to keep using it, it will be worth it to me. Back to the question though...what is the difference between 50% and 100% RGBM on the Suunto? Does anyone know for sure?

Codeman: please read my posts 8 & 10. I would be very worried about the 20 min deco you completed! I really hope you are joking or added fat to your story!!!!

Start controlling your your profiles and things will change dramatically. As stated before I dive Suuntos and nearly never get out of the water before other dc's. Suuntos track both dissolved and free gases, thus short SI and fast ascent rates will dramatically reduce your multi dive NDL's.

I have been using Suunto computers since the early '90's!! I look at the current Suunto computers with the RGBM algorithm as an advantage whereby this algorithm is "closer" to the reality of what is happening in your body as relates to DC.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom