Cobalt2: Lft/Up Doesn't Work - New Magnets Didn't Help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scott_C

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Bought two Cobalt2 new in Aug 2017. 1 computer wouldn’t scroll left and occasionally up (slow to respond) out of the box (was 350 miles away from shop in OK). Dive shop said bring it back and he'd swap magnets. Due to family issues & moving to South Tx, computers have only been diving twice since purchased (fresh water) and am starting to get back into diving. Local dive shop ordered magnet replacements, but no change. I have kept the computers charged. Any ideas?

Scott, sorry not to have responded earlier, but family issues have kept me away from SB for a couple of weeks.

It's either the magnets or the reed switches themselves. This is definitely fixable. New magnets were the right thing to try first. The magnets do come in different strengths, one question I have would be the color of the magnets in the keypad. Here's a link to how to pop off the top cover so you can look at the underside of the keypad.
Dropbox - Cover removal.pdf - Simplify your life
If the magnets controlling the poorly working buttons are anything other than black the magnets may be too weak.

Magnetic reed switches are very reliable, but they do sometimes fail. If the issue is the reed switches themselves, soldering replacements not the PCB is a fairly minor task, but one that does involve opening the case. I'll message you here on ScubaBoard to suggest how we can help get that done.

Ron

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom