CO from the tank?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hoosier,
I had a 70 VW with bad heater boxes. The CO was leaking into the heating ducts of my vehicle. Since CO is odorless I never knew it was there. I wanted to check out my vehicle to check for CO and stopped by my local fire department. They have very sophisticated hand-held testing units that run about $6,000.00. Within a minute or two of starting my engine the alarm started going off. The unit they used measured PPM and is much more accurate than any home alarm. I replaced the faulty heater boxes and took it back. I tested clean for CO. Quite an eye opener to me. These units are used to check for levels of O2 and CO to determine a safe breathing environment. Most fire departments or businesses involved in confined space work have them. I suppose if you approached them nicely, your friendly folks at the frie department might check out your vehicle. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom