CLR will eat away Chrome, be careful when using it

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

eelnoraa

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
A while ago, I asked if it is OK to use CLR to clean build up (green stuff) in regulators. Today I found out it is not a good idea. I was cleaning a old shower head using CLR, I used maybe 10:1 ratio. The build up was quite thick, so I decided to leave the shower head over night. Less than a hour later, I found the shower head is quite shiny. All the build up was gone or knocked loose already. I was thinking "great". But upon further inspection, I found in some area, the chrome was eaten away. While the whole surface is still shiny, I can definitely see the chrome is thinning. I can see brownish brass under the thinning chrome. I think if I was to leave it over night, I will see shiney brass.

So my conclusion is, if you have very serious build up in regulator part, using diluted CLR and apply using a tooth brash may be OK, but never soak regulator part in side for extended period of time. Chrome will be removed. Not sure if brass is reactive to CLR tho, I don't intend to find out.

Soaking too long in vinegar and water will do the same thing. The chrome removed is already slightly compromised before the soaking and allows the acid of choice to get under the chrome. I agree that more scrubbing and less soaking is the way to go..

heated ultrasonics seem to work best for me. Put them in for 2-5 minutes, scrub with a toothbrush, run another 2-5 minutes depending on how bad it is. After that, dump some baking soda in to neutralize everything

No doubt there are differences in plating quality among items, but it is definitely true that acids will attack metals just like they help dissolve salts like verdigris or sea salts.

I second the suggestion to use heat, and an inexpensive jewelry sonicator to speed the process. I use just a splash of white vinegar in the 3 cups or so that my sonicator holds, and usually only a few minutes takes care of any crud. Follow with a rinse then soak in plain water, or even add a *little* baking soda as suggested.

I use as much baking soda as I did vinegar so it neutralizes, usually dump the baking soda in until it stops fizzing, let it run one more time, then do the rinse and one last run with plain water. Ensures that everything is neutralized. Shouldn't have to soak overnight though, the cheap ultrasonics from Harbor Freight work well.
Ultrasonic Cleaner - 2.5 Liter
I use this one, which isn't quite so cheap, but it holds two valves or first stages with no problem, has heat, and a timer for the sonic.

Perhaps the thinning of the chrome on your shower head had occurred before you added CLR and it was obscured by the buildup?
But of course, using caution with CLR seems prudent.

I use diluted vinegar, tooth blush, ultra sound, washing liquid and plenty of water.

There was a thread a while back discussing a "poor mans" version of Lawrence Factor Wash to use for cleaning regulators.

Back
Top Bottom