Closest warm water diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I live in SE Austria, I can drive to Croatia in about 5 hours to dive (south tip of Istria) - and the diving is decent. Food and country are great too. The diving becomes better the further South you go.

Otherwise Egypt is the closest 'top' diving destination for me as well.

I'm going to Tenerife in late February, so in March I can give you a first-hand report on that place :)
Just finished my three days of diving in Tenerife, with Atlantic Divers in Las Galletas, between Tenerife Sud and Los Christianos / Las Americas. My TripAdvisor review of the OP is here:Great diving, very good operation - Review of Atlantic Divers, Arona, Spain - TripAdvisor

I can't compare Tenerife diving to Florida or the Red Sea, but IMO it's definitely better than Cote d'Azur in France, or Ustica. Better vis, more life in the water column. And Atlantic Divers' style fits me very well.

Just finished my three days of diving in Tenerife, with Atlantic Divers in Las Galletas, between Tenerife Sud and Los Christianos / Las Americas. My TripAdvisor review of the OP is here:Great diving, very good operation - Review of Atlantic Divers, Arona, Spain - TripAdvisor I can't compare Tenerife diving to Florida or the Red Sea, but IMO it's definitely better than Cote d'Azur in France, or Ustica. Better vis, more life in the water column. And Atlantic Divers' style fits me very well.

Glad to hear that you had a good trip! What was the water temp? What did you think of the Canary Islands as a vacation destination?

Glad to hear that you had a good trip! What was the water temp? What did you think of the Canary Islands as a vacation destination?
Water was 18-19-ish. Celsius.

The Canaries are easily accessible, but most of that is tourist machines. If all you want is warm weather, sun, and the possibility of all inclusive, it's fine. Low on crime, less obnoxious sellers than in other places. If you want something more genuine, that requires some effort. For the type of vacation we wanted this time, it was quite nice.

Water was 18-19-ish. Celsius.

The Canaries are easily accessible, but most of that is tourist machines. If all you want is warm weather, sun, and the possibility of all inclusive, it's fine. Low on crime, less obnoxious sellers than in other places. If you want something more genuine, that requires some effort. For the type of vacation we wanted this time, it was quite nice.
That's cold for me. I'm in SE Florida for a week, diving in Boynton Beach. Water is 22-23, that's about as cold as it gets here

That's cold for me. I'm in SE Florida for a week, diving in Boynton Beach. Water is 22-23, that's about as cold as it gets here
OK, everybody's MMV. I found it quite bearable in a 5 mil one-piece with no hood for ~45 min run times. And this was late Feb with air temps in the low 20s; it gets somewhat warmer in summer. Both underwater and topside...

I've been to Lanzarote and Tenerife, not exactly any closer than Egypt but if you don't want to go to Egypt it's a good alternative.

I enjoyed the diving on the Canary islands I slightly prefer Lanzarote as they seem to have more angel sharks and generally a bit more life on the dives.

Tenerife is good, not amazing but would recommend 12dive as they're a really good outfit.

Malta is good if you love wrecks, but does highlight the whole "dead med" situation but is also half the flight time of egypt or canaries.

Back
Top Bottom