Closest warm water diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

centraal

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Greetings,
I may be moving to Germany for work after diving mostly in Micronesia and SE Asia. Coldest, most northern dives I've ever done were in 22C/72F waters, and that was pushing it. With respect to those who enjoy diving in the cold, I don't think it's for me. What are the best locations for flying to warm water, at least in the warmer months? Prefer some reef life as well and relatively safe countries.

Egypt is your closest and the Hurghada area and further south is okay. I was there 2 years ago. I live in the middle east so my perceptions might be different than someone who doesn't - 4 hr flight

Moving further East, then you have Oman ( 6hr flight) - but this is somewhat off the beaten track and won't suit most people. Then teh next stop is Thailand 13hrs from europe?)

For the same travel distance (as Thailand) you have the Caribbean and Mexico. Nothing on your doorstep I'm afraid - not with any decent reefs and fish life anyway

If safety is an issue, you might not be too thrilled with Egypt these days. I'm not. Other options are Malta, or the Canary Islands. Note, however, that you might have to deal with water below 22C, perhaps all the way down to 19-20... :wink:

If safety is an issue, you might not be too thrilled with Egypt these days. I'm not.

Egypt is a big place frankly I'd feel less safe in a major European city at the moment. Hurghada is (according the the UK Foreign office travel advice) still deemed safe

I believe @Neilwood took a live-aboard there last year. He can advise on his impressions

Again perhaps actually living and traveling around the Middle East gives me a different perception and insight than that offered by the Western media

perhaps actually living and traveling around the Middle East gives me a different perception and insight than that offered by the Western media
Probably :)

If safety is an issue, you might not be too thrilled with Egypt these days. I'm not. Other options are Malta, or the Canary Islands. Note, however, that you might have to deal with water below 22C, perhaps all the way down to 19-20... :wink:

Egypt is a big place frankly I'd feel less safe in a major European city at the moment. Hurghada is (according the the UK Foreign office travel advice) still deemed safe

I believe @Neilwood took a live-aboard there last year. He can advise on his impressions

Again perhaps actually living and traveling around the Middle East gives me a different perception and insight than that offered by the Western media

Hi centrall,

My wife and I recently moved back to the US after living in Switzerland for 2 years. Last February, we took a 2 week vacation in Cairo and on the Nile between Luxor and Aswan with a side trip to Abu Simbel. It was probably the most interesting and educational vacation we've ever taken. Last April/May I did two weeks of liveaboard out of Marsa Alam/Port Ghalib and also did one day boat before departing. The diving was extremely good, see both my reviews in the Red Sea section from Oct 5.

Egypt has done very poorly since the 2011 revolution with one thing after another, after another. Tourism, the life blood of Egypt, is way, way down. The vendors and hawkers are desperate to make a living and can be aggressive. One or more very firms NOs was always sufficient to move on. We never felt threatened in Cairo or on the Nile. On the Red Sea, the economy is also very depressed and many resorts and dive operations are temporarily or permanently closed, but, without the mass of people and urban areas, the feel is very different and more relaxed.

Safety or risk is relative and requires a personal assessment. Personally, I would not hesitate to go diving in the Red Sea at this time. I guess I'm more like @Diving Dubai than @Storker Accomodations, day boats, and liveaboards are a real bargain in Egypt. I had a direct flight from Zurich to Hurghada and took a 3 hour ride to Marsa Alam/Port Ghalib. If I were to do it now, I'd probably fly through Cairo and then to Marsa Alam.

Best of luck and good diving,

Craig

@Diving Dubai you are correct that I did a liveaboard in November. Did a wrecks and reefs trip to the North. Great diving on board MY Whirlwind (good crew, good food and good guides).

Didn't have any issues at all and am in the process of deciding to do another trip to the Southern Red Sea which is more about the sharks/rays etc than the North which focuses a bit more on wrecks. My trip was to Hurghada but that didn't spoil anything for me. Time it right and you can get some pretty good deals.

Germany removed restrictions on flying direct to Sharm and AFAIK a lot of their operators have resumed.

Safety or risk is relative and requires a personal assessment.
Quite. Which is why I think it'd be nice for the OP to have alternatives to Egypt. In case they don't feel comfortable with going there :)

Are the Canary Islands a possibility? Don't know about the diving, but I had a British friend who has been there a lot on holiday.

Did you check Cabo Verde ? They are safe and the diving is pretty good - not as in the Red Sea, mostly because you are in the Atlantic ocean.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom