Close call in the dressing room

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I bought a 7mm Oceanic wet suit on craig's list just after I was certified. It fits but there are no zippers on the ankles. I was diving on new-years and since it is canada it was cold. There was no where to change on this shore dive, so I was standing on top of snow on a beach mat in the open. I got the jacket off no problem, but the damn suit got stuck on my ankles. To make matters worse my dive buddy (my father) was off somewhere finding a restroom (tree). I ended up standing out with my bare legs and chest exposed for about 10 minutes before I managed to get free I had ice on my skin (though since I am a polar bear I did not get particularly cold).
Fortunately my suit has stretched so that my ankles can get through now.

I tried on a henderson wetsuit some years ago while shopping around for my first wetsuit. It too didn't have zippers at the ankles. I am happy I gave up at my ankles, given I couldn't even get past there. I don't know what kind of person would be able to get that suit on without zippers given my legs were pretty skinny (at the time).

As a newbie, I can't express enough my gratefulness to SB for the wealth of info.

I am finally purchasing my own equipment. Yesterday I bought a wetsuit, which of course entailed entering the the hazardous world of the dressing room.

I think that the rental wetsuits that I had been using were either too large or old and stretched out, because the one that I found that I was told fit well when it was on was really a struggle to get on compared to my past experience (all of 10 dives). But I did it, and after being told that it would be easier if it was wet, I thought that this one would do. However, this one that had been in the showroom for a while, and it had a couple of very minor surface flaws from handling. The shop manager told me that he would give me a good discount, or he would get a new one of that model from the storeroom. I asked him to fetch the new one. He handed me the new wetsuit and I went to put it on.

The first one was a Mares 3-4-5. The new one was a Mares 3-5-7 or something like that. But I when I went to try it, I was under the impression that it was the same suit. I pulled and tugged and pushed (my body and my thighs especially have a little more me than optimal). Sweat was dripping from me. If this was the same suit, I was going to get it on if it killed me! After a very long time, I managed to get it on. I was exhausted and felt dizzy. When I emerged from the dressing room, the employees immediatly told me to sit down, and offered to get me a glass of water. I guess I looked as wasted as I felt!

I ended up buying the first one with a nice discount.

I don't thing that I would have bought a wetsuit at all yesterday if I had not been warned about the challenges of the dressing room!

Thanks to all who so willingly share, giving us newbies the confidence to march on!

I think it's funny because everyone else is laughing and he has an accent. Not to mention it eventually took 2 people to help.

However, as a "semi-dry" wearer, I know that you can need the assistance of a team to get those bad boys OFF!

thanks for sharing :)

They must have chosen that suit for girth, not length. Looks more like a "middy" than a shorty. Funny video, but not nearly embarrassing enough. :D

Got a new Henderson H2 shorty and decided to try it on at home. Nothing but easy getting in it. In fact taking it off was easy too... However while I'm still checking it over for fit a friend calls and I decide to leave it on while talking. An hour passes and I'd kept my arm bent the entire time against those strong rubbery seals ... Come Monday morning my arm is sore as all get out around the elbow area. I cuss the suit of course and even return it not thinking it over. Finally a week later of carrying this gimp arm around I realize I must have caused some tendinitis. A couple days icing it and not wanting to answer to any of my co-workers what I actually did all was well. But I cant believe I injured myself with a wetsuit! While not near as funny as the "I cant get outa my suit" stories on here I thought I'd share my wetsuit mishap.

Got a new Henderson H2 shorty and decided to try it on at home. Nothing but easy getting in it. In fact taking it off was easy too... However while I'm still checking it over for fit a friend calls and I decide to leave it on while talking. An hour passes and I'd kept my arm bent the entire time against those strong rubbery seals ... Come Monday morning my arm is sore as all get out around the elbow area. I cuss the suit of course and even return it not thinking it over. Finally a week later of carrying this gimp arm around I realize I must have caused some tendinitis. A couple days icing it and not wanting to answer to any of my co-workers what I actually did all was well. But I cant believe I injured myself with a wetsuit! While not near as funny as the "I cant get outa my suit" stories on here I thought I'd share my wetsuit mishap.

Wow, a 23 second delay in the 'double post' feature.

But still a nice story. Not as good as people falling down, screaming for help, getting caught nearly naked, etc. but we'll take what we can get.

Edit: Whoohoo :cool3: I claim #400. (ok, not such a big deal.)

Back
Top Bottom