Close call in the dressing room

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Awesome.. my real dive scars from getting trashed on the rocks by a rogue wave aren't impressive enough sooooo. I tell people that the scar on the back of my knee is from a shark bite.. it does look pretty convincing.

That "shark" had a nibble of me but I managed to act quickly so I fought it off and it didn't finish me.. I lived to dive today! 15 years cancer free.. keep a sharp eye out for moles or any skin marks that change colour. Maybe a little bit serious for a humour thread but the experience actually opened my eyes to the need to appreciate life and not put off the things I want to do til some later date that may not arrive. That scar on my leg is what ultimately changed my life and got me into diving! There is a silver lining.. "hmm" but it is in my wetsuit :giggle:

That "shark" had a nibble of me but I managed to act quickly so I fought it off and it didn't finish me.. I lived to dive today! 15 years cancer free.. keep a sharp eye out for moles or any skin marks that change colour.

Now, you have got my fears up. I have all sorts of little things across my body that I should probably be paying attention to but don't really.

But congratulations on the 15 years--I assume most people would consider that a cure.

Yep and I had to push my doctor into doing something about it. Honestly if you have something you are concerned about get it checked. If you are still concerned.. get it removed. That attitude saved my life.. I survived melanoma by early recognition and appropriate action. There is so much good information out there from credible sources that we can now take greater control of our own personal health. We are the main stakeholders in our bodies and the medical professionals should be used as our support system not given blind trust/control over our lives. Sorry for the hijack but not really.. if one person reads this .. gets checked and gets the jump on a problem it is worth it!

The up side of this is... I have a great life, enjoyed 520 dives I wouldn't have taken, others may benefit from my story, I have a kewl scar to tell stories about and remind my how cancer taught me to enjoy life!:dancingsnoopy:

I was thinking about this thread yesterday evening. I went to one of my LDS's and wanted to try on a new 7mm wetsuit for when the dive season opens up here. The clerk set me up with a couple of different sizes, walks me back to the changing room, eye-balls my less than anorexic figure and says "let me know when you need help"....lololol.

Kristopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by CD_in_Chitown
Too funny,

I was outfitting a couple with gear for the OW checkouts one time and gave them wetsuits to try on. The guy, politely he was heavy-set, gets the wrong wetsuit and goes into the dressing room. He comes out like 20 minutes later with a rear-entry womans wetsuit pulled on backwards and is trying zip the front. I have no idea how he got all 4 appendages into that suit, but it scared the crap out of me when he came out of the dressing area, totally red faced and appearing on the verge of a coronary. At first I tried not to laugh just at him having it on backwards, when I realized he'd grabbed the small I'd meant for his SO I think I did laugh out loud. By the time it was over all 3 of us laughed so it turned out ok.

Hey CD_in_Chitown! I laughed my a** off while reading your description above! It's hilarious!

I had an interesting experience along these lines. In this case, the student got the correct wet suit, but he was having a very hard time putting it on while sitting in a chair at the end of the pool area. Everyone else in the class was ready to go, but he was still struggling to get the legs on. I was quite sure he had the correct suit, so I was puzzled. I went over to help, and knelt down by his feet to see what the problem was.

He was trying to put his feet through the arms.

The wetsuit manufacturers must have misplaced my measurements when they made their size charts :shocked2: Only two options: be cold or wear a tailor-made suit. Now, the water here in Thailand can get as cold as 28 degr C, about 82 F. Therefore, I had a wonderful 7 mm made. Getting in and out of it was a nightmare and I only wore it a couple of times last season - always ensuring my place as center of attention and amusement among my colleagues and our guests :popcorn: After 10 dives it "only" took me 12-15 minutes to get into the suit - but still a bit too long when I have to get ready quickly and help the guests. Result was that I'd put on the suit before I gave the briefing. There I'd be in 35 degr C giving a dive site briefing, wearing a very tight 7 mm. Very entertaining indeed and I'm sure I lost quite some weight in my "sauna therapy" :cool2:

The suit was still a tight fit when I went home to my family in low season. That's 10 kg's ago. I made one very unsuccessful attempt this season. Our deck hands were roaring with laughter, attracting the guests from upstairs, so that everybody could get a look at me jumping around on the dive deck with the suit almost up to my knees, unable to put it further back on - or take if off (mind you, this is a suit with zippers). Joint efforts of our 2 deckhands and engineer finally freed me :clapping:

My hooded vest was also quite a challenge after the weight gain - but I have that one down to a fine art after the first humiliating demonstration on the dive deck in front of 12-15 guests of bikini top being pulled over the head together with the vest - yup, proper role model behavior of a dive pro :blush:

Rather than losing weight I decided to have a 5 mm made :wink: I have 6 dives in it now, can put it on in less than 20 minutes, still walk like Arnold Schwarzenegger in it, but can almost bend my knees, so I am down to needing only one hand to lift up my leg to climb the ladder after the dive. Progress indeed :D My old one was perfect after about 50 dives, so another two live-aboard trips...........and at least our guests have a good laugh :wink:

There's a video on here somewhere shows some young ladies trying to remove their front-zip wetsuits. It's really funny, or it was until I acquired a front-zip 3mm jumpsuit recently. Two points: 1. The folks in Thailand that made this suit have a mistaken perspective concerning the size and girth of a medium sized American. Let's just say it's a little 'snug' around the chest and torso. 2. Don't be so quick to laugh at others until you have tried to accomplish their task. The first time I 'squeezed' into this thing I had almost conceded that I would live in it for the rest of my life. There was no way to get the darn thing off my shoulders. And the arms fit so snugly that it wouldn't slide off. My wife saved me from heat stroke. After four more tries I finally learned a technique that I can use to get out of it, unaided. But, I will never buy another front-zip wetsuit. (edit: It was worth the $25.00 I paid for it...just so you don't think I'm a complete idiot)

In retrospect, having people try to get into and out of a front-zip jumpsuit would make a nice party game, especially after a few adult beverages. :D

Last edited:
In retrospect, having people try to get into and out of a front-zip jumpsuit would make a nice party game, especially after a few adult beverages. :D

:rofl3:

There's a video on here somewhere shows some young ladies trying to remove their front-zip wetsuits. It's really funny, or it was until I acquired a front-zip 3mm jumpsuit recently. Two points: 1. The folks in Thailand that made this suit have a mistaken perspective concerning the size and girth of a medium sized American. Let's just say it's a little 'snug' around the chest and torso. 2. Don't be so quick to laugh at others until you have tried to accomplish their task. The first time I 'squeezed' into this thing I had almost conceded that I would live in it for the rest of my life. There was no way to get the darn thing off my shoulders. And the arms fit so snugly that it wouldn't slide off. My wife saved me from heat stroke. After four more tries I finally learned a technique that I can use to get out of it, unaided. But, I will never buy another front-zip wetsuit. (edit: It was worth the $25.00 I paid for it...just so you don't think I'm a complete idiot)

Funny thing is that my initial reaction was to laugh at you, but I remembered my recent experienced with my new 5mil that "punched" me trying to don over my shoulders this past December. By "punch" I mean the darn thing wasn't too stretchy and my hand slipped and hit me in the face. :dork2: (Any takers? ScubaPro wetsuit..only 5 dives on it! :D)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom