Close call in the dressing room

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I went to a scubafest thingy at a local dive shop and there was a guy who was from Pinnacle! I was super excited because i got to see some suits up close... He showed me the in and outs of the Kodiak (for Pacific Northwest stuff)... i was pumped and asked lots of questions... So, as any good salesperson would do, he asked me if i wanted to try it on... suddenly, all the horror stories came flashing in front of my eyes... I looked around the place... too crowded... so i totally chickened out! Anyone else having "performance" anxiety? One day i'll be able to try it on... one day...

So I'm new and going to be dong my OW dives sometime real soon- boy am I glad I found this thread!! I live in darn cold Minnesota and know that I'm going to likely have a story about a 7 mil suit real soon!

Thanks all for some fantastic laughs!! I'll cross my fingers that I can join this club AFTER my certification, if I must.

I was on a dive with about 7 other divers in fairly tight quarters. As everyone is gearing up, this one obviously pretty shy french guy, goes into the tiny head barely any bigger than the toilet with just a curtain to put on his wet suit. Well, there's elbows and knees bouncing around behind the curtain then suddenly he falls out naked on the floor of the boat in the middle of everybody. I just about peed my suit

Oh boy..:shakehead: This thread is the best.:rofl3:

I have had experiences with my wetsuit too. Now, I have a freediving wetsuit, which in other words pretty much means tight and form fitting. And it's not even those thick ones, it's 3mil.

So anyway, I had been waiting for weeks for my suit to arrive. So when it does, I grab it and immediately jumped into the toilet to try it on.

My suit is open cell on the inside and smoothskin on the exterior. Without soap and/or water, it is impossible to put the suit on. The open cell is too tacky without lubrication. Also, because the neoprene is unlined, it is very fragile.

After reading horror stories of how other freedivers tore their 3 mil suits without much effort, I was afraid I'd tear mine too. So as a safety precaution, I used a little too much shampoo to help get the suit on. And of course, the suit went on easy.

Now I had to get it off. The suit was tight and I was beginning to feel uncomfortable. I reached down to the bottom of my top and try to pull it up, but I simply couldn't, as it was too slippery with shampoo and my hand kept slipping off.

After about 10 tries, I start panicking. I used my common sense and proceeded to the shower head to rinse away all the excess shampoo. Sucess. I grab the bottom edges of the top and proceeded to pull it up. The shower is still running, and as I pull the top up, naturally it collects water.

I thought, well that's ok, since it is recommended to put water in that moat created as you pull the top off to help lubricate the suit for easier doffing. It didn't turn out to be very helpful.

As I was about to yank the top off, suddenly it would move no further. The top has an intergrated hood, and the neck area is getting held back by my chin. So here I am, with top halfway off, and my face is immersed in the water that has collected. I cannot breathe. I try to bring the top back down, and realise my arms are stuck in that position because of the tight suit.

So I panicked, again. I'm stuck, my face is immersed in water so I cannot scream, and I'm running out of breath. Now, mind you, I had already been submerged in that moat of water for 2 mins already. I can only hold my breath for 5, and that's when I'm not panicking.

I had no strength left from all the wrestling with the suit, so I could not just rip it apart with brute strength. With all my options exhausted and being on the verge of a blackout, I wriggled as hard as I could, and by some miracle, the top just popped over my head and I was free. Water splashed everywhere and I gasped for air.

Never in my life had I been so close to death. To think it would could have been by wetsuit is pretty embarassing and strange.

See freediving is more dangerous than scuba! If you don't black out or your heart stop, the suit is designed to finish you off!

Please be patient, I'll have the new specialty manual out "Dressing and undressing Solo" in about a week. It'll be a 2 night class, unless you're an unattached lady and decide that I might be a keeper.:wink:

This sounds like a PADI Advanced course for sure. That, Fish ID and Underwater Basket Weaving and you are certified to 130'

This is d funniest thread ive read! Been laughing hard d whole time im reading. & i read all 25 pages in one sitting!! I think im glued 2 my chair already!! LMAO!!
Never had such life -threatening experiences though...
I always have my full rashguard under my 3mm & a separate hood. :wink:
Many more happy divings!!!

I went to a scubafest thingy at a local dive shop and there was a guy who was from Pinnacle! I was super excited because i got to see some suits up close... He showed me the in and outs of the Kodiak (for Pacific Northwest stuff)... i was pumped and asked lots of questions... So, as any good salesperson would do, he asked me if i wanted to try it on... suddenly, all the horror stories came flashing in front of my eyes... I looked around the place... too crowded... so i totally chickened out! Anyone else having "performance" anxiety? One day i'll be able to try it on... one day...

:rofl3: :rofl3: I think there are little pills that can help you with the performance.....oh wait....wrong board.

This thread has turned out to be a real nail biter and page turner. :popcorn:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom