Close call in Hawaii...what happened?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I read your post several times trying to decide if I should post or not. I try not to get into any form of debates on these forums, however, I'm wondering, just how many breaths does someone have to take with not getting any gas do they consider using the solution which is at arms reach away? (Short of a 1st stage, OOG, or burst disk failure) At any point during this problem did you consider using your backup reg? I have to ask, how many OOG drills have you performed during your previous 3 intro attempts? I would assume at least one somewhere along the way.

The problem of who is to blame for bad equipment is Nil if one accepts a risk such as this. Kinda like blaming the makers of beer for a wreck, when the drunk chose to take to the wheel. You made your decisions to be where your at with limited training - accept them and move on. In your post you mentioned several times of problems with your equipment which should have alerted you to abort the dive. I once heard a quote (can't recall who) that you have to be willing to get within one inch of your goal, and be willing to terminate the dive and save it for another day. Those vacation trips aren't cheap by any means - but neither is funerals.

I would have to agree, any instructor doing an intro to scuba class beyond a pool or short platform should be shot in the head and used for bait. While I'm all about introducing new folks to the sport of scuba, there is a safe way to do these. If I misread your post and you had already completed your classroom and pool sessions prior to these boat dives, then I owe you a huge apology, however if not, I feel your only asking for a killing. In the world of EMS we call this "Job Security" as we know there will be those to wish to challenge Mr. Murphy.

Do yourself and your family a favor - get certified the right way, or stay out of the water. Diving can be as safe and/or as dangerous as we make it. Rec diving or technical diving regardless, you owe it to yourself, and your future dive companions to be proficient with your skills and at the ready for such emergencies. You should make it your goal to start safe habits by doing things such as bubble checks, OOG drills, etc. etc. These skill sets are not limited to technical divers, and until you gain some form of muscle memory by practicing these over and over will these be used in a time of emergency. Any such skill is going to be as useless as debating these topics on dive forums if you don't! You owe it to yourself to find a competent instructor and complete the training before making any further dives in open-water. Remember its just not your tail on the line when things go south. By continuing to dive, you place at risk to all those around you, not to mention the emergency personnel who have to come recover your body following these regretful, and sometimes preventable accidents.

Safe diving, upon the completion of your training.

Kenny

Last edited:
I think these posts are rather harsh and don't reflect the mild sense of bewilderment of someone doing their first dives with new ops. Every operator works differently but you're supposed to know the drill by some kind of telepathy. When you have rental kit failure some will try to make you feel like you're mad (until you find the proof). And yes, they can act annoyed as if you're some PITA despite the fact that they've rented you duff and dangerous kit and aren't willing to acknowledge any possibility that this could be the case - again, until you find the hard evidence at which point they tend to bottle up. Not all, but some.

I agree, getting certified immediately makes sense, but that still doesn't clear you for knowing how to deal with operator quirks.

No big deal, just cut the guy a little slack. I can certainly empathise with his sentiments.

And as for the troll spotters - I hope they've better intuition underwater :)

More than likely there was water in the tank. There is a device on the valve called the "snorkel" that is there to prevent water in the tank from exiting through the valve when the tank is inverted. But, the snorkel just unscrews from the valve and they may have neglected to put it back on at some time when the valve was being serviced. Or if there was a lot of water in the tank, like 5 or 6 inches deep, then it would be possible for water to exit through the valve, even with the snorkel in place.

This "snorkel" is also known as a dip tube... just in case anyone was wondering.
Just a question to those people who've had water in their tanks - especially if it were five or six inches deep: Wouldn't you be able to hear it sloshing around in there?

When I posted my message on this board I simply hoped to get a response or two. I never imagined I would get this type of response. I want to warmly thank all those who have taken the time to contribute their thoughts on the matter. As for those who are skeptical about my story, I can only say that I have much better things to do with my time than make up tall tales about scuba diving adventures. This is also the reason I have not replied in a week. Although I do not have definitive closure on this experience, I feel that water in the tank seems to fit the most as I replay the events back in my mind as I have done countless times over the past few weeks. I came to this board not to indict anyone for negligence, though there may have been some. I came here to have a question answered which has lingered: What happened down there? I feel that it has been answered to the best that it can be and I have moved on. I do plan on getting back on that horse someday, though I WILL get certified and I will have my own equipment when that day comes. I have learned a valuable lesson from that experience in that my life is too important to leave in the hands of rental equipment and dive companies, which are more concerned about protecting themselves than they are me. Besides, who do I really have to blame if it goes bad under 30 feet of water and I haven't taken the time to properly learn how to deal with emergencies? I am prepared to take full responsibilty for my safety on my next dive. Thanks again to you all. I am humbled by your attention and grateful for your concern.

GS

When I posted my message on this board I simply hoped to get a response or two. I never imagined I would get this type of response.

Devil, if you tell a group of divers about a crappy instructor and/or bad rental gear and/or an underwater incident and you are going to get there attention. Combine all 3and you REALLY have their attention! Glad you are OK, let us know if you decide to get certified the right way to keep diving! And, if you want advice on a good instructor, throw it up on the boards and I"m sure many people will gladly point you towards some wonderful instructors in your local area.

Dave

1st of all, everyone listen none the gear was his. 2nd sounds like neither regulators were properly serviced. Depending on model and age of 2nd stage seems like the diaphragm retainer were missing, thus letting water in 2nd stage instead of air.

I really don't have much to add as the OP said next time he dives it will be to get certified, I hope so, DSD in open water...never a good idea. I find the lack of concern by the operator disturbing, and the fact that the captain let an uncertifed diver go off on his one after swapping out gear even more disturbing. ultimately though the fact that this was the 3rd time he dove this way without getting certified is not good, even though the instructor should have been right with him ALL THE TIME. BIGKEN did a great job of summing up the problems and my feelings on this and I thank him for his knowledge and input.

A good lesson that things happen unexpectedly and when you're a land mammal underwater, you better be ready. You seem to have good presence of mind and as many have reminded, you'll be better prepared with some knowledge and practice. Just out of curiosity, if you were 20-30ft down, why didn't you just surface? Maybe you were getting enough wet air to feel momentarily manageable, but staying at depth with unreliable air is not a good plan. Granted, at that depth you have time to reevaluate your response and surface. If you were under the misapprehension that surfacing from that depth is dangerous, that's something that training will correct.

Welcome to diving, with care and training (and good equipment!) it's one of the most pleasant pasttimes I know. Hawaii is my frequent destination, I just can't get enough of it!

Back
Top Bottom