Close call in Hawaii...what happened?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you have time to dig around on this board, you'll see that some people have misgivings about the way some operators carry out these 'introductory' dives. In your case, 25' in front of you (behind him/her?) sounds a bit out of line for someone who's suppose to be accompanying an uncertified diver.

I agree with the others that said that a well taught course and certification would make the problems you experienced (and other possibilities) an annoyance rather than severely worrisome.

I felt like I was a bit culpable for being so far behind. Our instructor was responsible for me and one other guy and we were both told to stay right behind him. I got a little big for my britches and didn't quite follow that to the letter of the law at times. If he was guilty it was for not looking back frequently enough and failed to notice that I was having issues. In any event, I certainly learned a valuable lesson. I mentioned that I continued my second dive depite my problems. Well, I stayed connected to his hip the rest of the time.

GS

I live in Chapel Hill, NC

BTW...One final note. This was a two tank dive and the first dive went off without a hitch. I was able to tilt my head and dive at steep angles with no issues. I used the same regulator for both dives until they swapped it out for a different one after I started having problems. It was after they changed to a new tank that had all these problems. Perhaps the tank was at fault afterall?

GS

Yep. L

ike I said before, your tank had water in it.

They know (now) but do not want you to know they know.

I can't put my finger on it but something just doesn't add up here. You have done 3 separate intro dives. You are not certified and yet it sounds like your instructor was acting more as a guide than instructor. You had issue with two regulators in the same day. Your instructor basically blew that off as nothing. This just doesn't add up for some reason. You clearly are not a panicker, which is a great trait for a diver. Get a new shop and instructor. Tell them exactly what bad experiences you have had in the past so they can focus training specific to you. If you can afford it, buy your own gear as well. Whatever you do, don't give up diving over this. My initial instructor was a joke and a half. He was taking OW students into a cavern on OW1. As soon as I saw that, I turned around and surfaced. I ended up finishing training with him on another day, but I immediately found another instructor to take AOW with to get some real training. Sounds like you have a similar situation. Good luck!

Intro dives belong in pools, no matter what the water conditions are. You could easily have died here. Even if you have been on 100 intro dives, you still are not certified and no instructor should ever be 25 feet away from you. I am constantly hearing stories like this. I tell everyone the same thing. Get at least the classroom portion of your certification at home. If you don't want to dive the cold water where you live, do the open water dives on your next vacation. Most shops are happy to provide you with a letter of referral.

I use an old conshelf reg that breathes a bit wet when inverted. Not in the 75/25 percent ratio , and not with an "explosion" as described. Even if a exhaust valve were to invert, I don't think it would be powerful enough to shake one's body. After the initial incident, the OP hovered mid-water. If he was hovering head-up, then this would have resolved the issue (at least if box geometry were the problem).
To the OP, I applaud your composure under pressure. I think that with formal training, you'll rediscover the reason why you chose to do three intro courses. Take the plunge and get fully certified.

I agree with the above note that there was probably water in the tank. The only variable changed between two dives was the tank exchange. I also think the divemaster dropped the ball when it comes to close observation. I took my first "discover scuba dive in a pool and did take two dives in the ocean off St. Thomas. There were three of us uncertified divers and we had a instructor and two divemasters hovering behind us. They were never more than 10-15 feet away. In fact one of them added some weight to my BC, without me even knowing it! When we returned this summer, I now had 50 dives, AOW certified, etc. Even with that, they had a guide in front and divemaster behind. They did at least 2-3 check out dives to make sure we knew what we were doing. They then let us free on the dives without the hand holding. That is the way a dive shop should operate!! It sounds like a broken record, but get certified. It is not that much time. I would also suggest once certified, proceed to the AOW. It was after this course that I felt as if I was now a scuba diver. In North Carolina, there are some wonderful wreck dives, both basic and advanced. You will discover a whole new world in your home state!

Bob

I sometimes wonder at what point do people forget the fact that
scuba gear, especially regulators, are a life support system. You
have to ask yourself the question, what's my life worth? Rental
Gear? Not for me, especially regulators. I was on a dive boat not
long ago in Cozumel when a low pressure hose was leaking so bad
the diver wouldn't use it. I offered my back up Brut, and the guy
gladly accepted it, and made the dive. I had a back up, the boat
didn't.

Id love to know the shop there are few great ones here and more than a few bad ones and it is a service to any reading to know who to not dive with.

1. sounds like a standards violation by the instructor in charge! 25 feet away from a dsd is NOT the standard for any agency I know of.
2. water in the tank is possible but not ilikely in any large volume Id bet more on diaphram failure or even a crack in the mouth piece where it joins the second stage. Twice in a row is just bad luck maybe they need to do PM on all their rental gear.
3.Get certified we need more diver that can keep their heads about them!!

To go a bit deeper into the reasons of a "wet breath". To repeat, fast majority is caused by the diaphragm, mouthpiece or the exhaust valve. All concern the second stage.

Reason #1: The Diaphragm.
Not a rupture is most likely to happen, but a displacement. Many diaphragms are held in place by the cover screwed down and keeping the edge of it between the cover and the regulator case. Usually there is a sottile washer (ring) between the cover and the diaphragm. If this one is missing, mostly due to "maintenance" by non professionals, the diaphragm can pop out easily during the dive. Most likely when you are under heavy workload and breath in stronger, so when you need your air the most.

Reason #2: The Mouthpiece.
A mouthpiece torns most of time on the upperside where the edge of the hard part of the regulator works its way through the silicon. Pull the mouthpiece slightly to make it visible. The point is that the torn can be covered by the lips that seal it of. Changing the position can then uncover the torn and water runs in. The mouth and lips becoming more tense as you are in distress that only makes it worse.

The Exhaust Valve:
Some (not all) regulators with downward exhaust tee can even be used upside down, without substantial amounts of water leaking in. Very nice if you swim backwards and then tip your head backwards to see where you are going (as practiced by the dive guides). This is due to a soft and good sealing silicon exhaust valve. With normal use any problems with the exhaust valve are unlikely.

Periodic preventive maintenance includes normally a renewal of both the mouthpiece and exhaust valve. Diaphragms are only changed if in bad shape.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom