Clipping Reel To Bc During Dsmb Use Question...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I believe the need for two hands would be a rare occasion, but something as simple as a "safe" release clip that is there if and when that occasion ever occurs could be very beneficial. I certainly wouldn't advocate getting in the habit of using it every time. As mentioned earlier, and I agree, there's a high risk that if a boat is traveling toward you or crossing you the reel "could" still snag on you.

The point about the buddy helping is a good one, but not every buddy is reliable, they could need both hands too or you're a solo diver.

Honestly, I started thinking about this more so in the event I had an aggressive shark encounter while fishing, but obviously there's a number of reasons why someone could need both hands free.

I use a snap shackle for anything like this where I want a secure connection that can be quickly released regardless of how much load is on the item. Stainless Steel Shackles & Swivel Marine Fixings There are a few examples on this page. This is what commercial divers use to connect their umbilical to their harness in the event they need to bailout.
Rich,

Thanks for sharing this. Can you elaborate more on the operation of a snap shackle. Does the retainer pin need to be pulled in order for it to release freely?

Several comments:

1. Most of the time, if you are drifting in current and let go of the reel/spool, it will drift right along with you. You can usually let got for extended periods of time.

2. As Diver0001 said, you can hand it to a buddy.

3. If the reel/spool is dangling a little below you, you can use both hands while the line runs up between your thumb and index finger.

A couple of months ago I was holding a reel with the line going up to a dive flag. I felt a sudden tug as someone on a boat, thinking it was their flag that had been hooked to a reef while the hunter using it had gone off away from it, pulled it up onto the boat. The boat roared off at full speed in order to break the supposed hook off of the reef. Had I been clipped to the reel, I would have been water skiing in no time.

Several comments:

1. Most of the time, if you are drifting in current and let go of the reel/spool, it will drift right along with you. You can usually let got for extended periods of time.

2. As Diver0001 said, you can hand it to a buddy.

3. If the reel/spool is dangling a little below you, you can use both hands while the line runs up between your thumb and index finger.

A couple of months ago I was holding a reel with the line going up to a dive flag. I felt a sudden tug as someone on a boat, thinking it was their flag that had been hooked to a reef while the hunter using it had gone off away from it, pulled it up onto the boat. The boat roared off at full speed in order to break the supposed hook off of the reef. Had I been clipped to the reel, I would have been water skiing in no time.

I take it you had a "quiet" word with them afterwards?

Oh, please don't clip your line to you, line is evil, I don't want you to die. Instead use a double ended bolt snap to fix you line through the spool holes so if will not feed any more line. Then if you need to, just let go of the spool and let it hang there in front of you. Easy peasy.

I take it you had a "quiet" word with them afterwards?
Not me. The dive boat that was following my flag, blowing its horn, and screaming at them to stop caught up with them and had a chat, including about their not having the radio on. I had shot a bag and finished the dive, so it was long over when I finally surfaced.

Oh, please don't clip your line to you, line is evil, I don't want you to die. Instead use a double ended bolt snap to fix you line through the spool holes so if will not feed any more line. Then if you need to, just let go of the spool and let it hang there in front of you. Easy peasy.

Perhaps this issue is a little overthinking on my part when I began to ponder a number of scenarios.

Like aggressive sharks while fishing? That could NEVER happen! :)

Perhaps you could practice letting it go during a test scenario with a buddy looking on while you perform a two handed task? I'm in the NEVER clip it to you camp.

Rich,

Thanks for sharing this. Can you elaborate more on the operation of a snap shackle. Does the retainer pin need to be pulled in order for it to release freely?

Yes the retaining pin needs to be pulled. Everyone makes their own lanyard that attaches to the pull ring at the end of the pin so it is easier to find and pull with gloves on.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom