clipping "octo" on BP/W?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

buddhasummer

Down under...
ScubaBoard Supporter
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Just curious as to where you would clip off your octo, when using a BP/W. The right shoulder D ring would put it too high? I wear a bungeed back up, but am wondering as once a shop I did some DM work for said if I assist on any courses the BP was ok but they wanted me to use "standard" Padi reg set up. The instructor was ok with me using my set up so never came to any conclusion. D ring on waist? cheers.

you should consider yourself lucky. Many shops (Note I said many. Not all or even most) wont allow the DMS and Instructors to use BPWs. Though I am no fan of them I do use a Zeagle Ranger LTD. and my Shop insist I use the gear they stock and sale. Nothing wrong with this and I happily do so because it helps the shop out but my point is many dive shops simply dont feel BPWs are newbie friendly. If they are then they are if they are not then well they are not.

I dont know what brand you are using but check with leisurepro as they work with so many orders daily they may know something. Also Zeagle Express is the most complete source for everything Zeagle Systems makes my be helpful. They assemble custom BPWs for customers who want them.

When I've used 'standard reg' set-ups with BP&W, I used to clip the AAS onto the right-side shoulder d-ring. Then I moved to a bungee necklace (deployable/pull-free). You can still bungee necklace with a 'standard' length AAS.

Simple solution is to "double" the hose of the octo and push 2 or 3 inches of it through the left D ring.

Although definitions do vary, all the ones I could find of the "golden triangle" in which the octo is supposed to go, include the chin as the top. Whether I use chin and nipples, or chin and hipbones to define the triangle, the right chest d-ring seems to sit precisely on the line. In other words, I don't think it is too high.

You could always attach another D-ring or a wide keeper lower along your strap and use a bungee loop to secure the mouthpiece and ziptie knotch to it.
Most divers in my program attach it to the upper D-ring, left and right depending on personal preference.

You're D-rings should be at the lower part of your clavicle, easy enough to distinguish IMO. If you're going to assist in an OOA situation I would think it better that you take control and hand off your Airsource of choice rather than waiting for the OOA diver to identify and grab. So in that case the golden triangle is a bit moot.

Before I switched to the bungee I used my right chest D-ring. I think there really could be several options and still fit in the 'triangle', including a bungee necklace. I guess it depends upon how you define the triangle, though.

I think it was a whole 2 dives or something after switching to my BP/W before I switched to the bungeed octo. I seem to be making baby steps toward a full "tech"/DIR style rig, and finally moved to a long hose most recently. I haven't dived it yet, but so far I really like it.

Although definitions do vary, all the ones I could find of the "golden triangle" in which the octo is supposed to go, include the chin as the top. Whether I use chin and nipples, or chin and hipbones to define the triangle, the right chest d-ring seems to sit precisely on the line. In other words, I don't think it is too high.

The problem with clipping the octo high is it's hard to see and hard to replace in case it gets pulled out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom