Clearing Mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ch66nerja

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi all

New to scuba diving and have my open water certification.
Recently had a problem where mask kept filling, as soon as it cleared it filled. Got water up nose, coughed and had mild panic.

Regardless, I've found that when I have water in my mask / around nose I can't do a continuous exhale through my nose. Best is short bursts through my nose.

Any suggestions regarding improving this?

When no water in mask or around nose I can exhale as normal with one long exhilaration!

Thanks

The most important is to have a good fitting mask. Altough I have one, in the beginning I had sometimes troubles with it filling again after clearing. I stopped applying sunscreen one or two hours before a dive. It solved the problem for me. Seems that it somehow breaks the sealing.

For the other problem I don't think I can be of much help. Do you already start exhaling slightly before tilting your head back? This is how I do it. Hold the mask on top of it. Start exhaling slightly, tilt my head back and exhale stronger to get the water out.

There is a solution for every problem. Hope you find one. Mask clearing is the most important skill.

Hi all

New to scuba diving and have my open water certification.
Recently had a problem where mask kept filling, as soon as it cleared it filled. Got water up nose, coughed and had mild panic.

Regardless, I've found that when I have water in my mask / around nose I can't do a continuous exhale through my nose. Best is short bursts through my nose.

Any suggestions regarding improving this?

When no water in mask or around nose I can exhale as normal with one long exhilaration!

Thanks
obviously your mask doesn't fit you. Start with that the rest will come second nature.

obviously your mask doesn't fit you. Start with that the rest will come second nature.
After many years of no problems at all, a couple of years ago my masks both started doing the same thing-- letting in water all the time (though if I sucked in air with my nose that would help a lot). One explanation offered was that in getting older my face got more boney.

After many years of no problems at all, a couple of years ago my masks both started doing the same thing-- letting in water all the time (though if I sucked in air with my nose that would help a lot). One explanation offered was that in getting older my face got more boney.
😂

New to diving myself and my first mask was great, but hard to clear because it was large and had a significant water volume. Changed to a lower volume mask it it fits and clears like a champ.

When you say you’re having difficulty with one long continuous exhalation and can only do short bursts, that sounds like you’re still trying to breath through your nose even underwater. I find myself still breathing g out a little through my nose even on regulator out of habit. Once you fully just breath through your reg, it should get easier to do a full exhale from your nose because your inhale will be through your mouth.

When you say you’re having difficulty with one long continuous exhalation and can only do short bursts, that sounds like you’re still trying to breath through your nose even underwater.
Snorkel (or a regulator) and no mask will fix that pretty quick. After getting comfortable breathing in/out through the snorkel, switch to exhaling through your nose.

Tip: close your eyes if you have difficulty inhaling (or exhaling). Then try opening them after starting the inhale. Then try keeping them open. The visual system response is very strong.

I stopped applying sunscreen one or two hours before a dive. It solved the problem for me. Seems that it somehow breaks the sealing.

This is quite intriguing as I actually advocate for using any cream or grease you have handy to help in mask sealing

I especially use vaseline or second choice a sunscreen where mask sealing is most important with rebreather diving

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom