Clearing a steamed up mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Frosty

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm checking the validity of my logic here folks.
I'm sometimes diving with my spare mask which is a Mares clearview.It seems to love steaming up for the first few minutes of a dive.
I've done the ol toothpaste trick,spitting in the mask and even the washing up liquid bit.
The "normal" mask clearing solutions-a bit of water in the mask etc only work for a short time
It seems the best solution is just to take the mask off and do a minute or two heading down with no mask. I can still clearly see the bottom and other divers within 20 feet of me.
Can anyone see anything wrong with this logic?

Last edited:
When I have a stubborn mask that fogs, I just lift the seal of my mask a tiny bit to let in some water. Just enough to take out the fog but not enough to cause any problems. Swish it around (face down of course). Then just blow it out by clearing your mask.

I keep a small amount of water in my mask for this purpose.

When I have a stubborn mask that fogs, I just lift the seal of my mask a tiny bit to let in some water. Just enough to take out the fog but not enough to cause any problems. Swish it around (face down of course). Then just blow it out by clearing your mask.

I keep a small amount of water in my mask for this purpose.
Sorry guys -I shoud say-given normal mask clearing methods havent worked

Sorry guys -I shoud say-given normal mask clearing methods havent worked

What? You mean you swish water around the inside of your mask and it doesn't clear the fogging!?!?!:confused: It's not a one shot method. You need to do it whenever the mask fogs. I use spit no (mucus) at the start of the dive. Most dives I don't need to use the water but other dives it doesn't work and I use the water.

So I take it this doesn't happen with your main mask?
Maybe your face it too warm and the mask lens is too close. :idk:
Try getting some cold water on your face to cool your skin down.

What? You mean you swish water around the inside of your mask and it doesn't clear the fogging!?!?!:confused: It's not a one shot method. You need to do it whenever the mask fogs. I use spit no (mucus) at the start of the dive. Most dives I don't need to use the water but other dives it doesn't work and I use the water.
Nope I mean the mask starts to "refog" the moment you stop trying to clear it rather than say once every few minutes.

So I take it this doesn't happen with your main mask?
Maybe your face it too warm and the mask lens is too close. :idk:
Try getting some cold water on your face to cool your skin down.
Nope ---with my main mask its just an occasional bit of fogging Normally unless going straight down I take my mask off whilst waiting in the water,

I would Suggest many more cleanings, with soft scrub or a similar aggressive Cleaner. Another question is do you use sun block on your face? Any oil or slight coating on the glass will give the water molecules something to stick to. Lastly there is the "bic lighter" method, which burns off any oils on the glass...... Good luck

I would Suggest many more cleanings, with soft scrub or a similar aggressive Cleaner. Another question is do you use sun block on your face? Any oil or slight coating on the glass will give the water molecules something to stick to. Lastly there is the "bic lighter" method, which burns off any oils on the glass...... Good luck
Nope I don't wear sunblock--I saw the genuine pain somone encountered washing sunblock into their eyes at 30 feet. But the "bic Lighter" trick is a new one on me

Just clean and dry the mask. Can easily take 3-4 times. I mix toothpaste with cleanser, or get mask cleaner. Some burn off new mask film with lighter.

Also, use defog solution in mask.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom