Clear Springs Air Quality

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sharkster

Registered
Reaction score
Is the air available from the fill station at Clear Springs safe for O2-mixing? Or will I have to clean my tank if I get a fill there.

Are you going to put o2 in your cylinder and then ask CSSP to top with air, ie. make your own nitrox? If so, your cylinder must be o2 clean. If it is a Luxfer cylinder, any mixture over 23.5% must be o2 clean. If you are asking if their air is clean for breathing, any reputable air fill station (I have never been to CSSP, but many many Dallas instructors that I know and trust use the facility) test at least annually to ensure the air is CGA Grade E clean, and will be proud to show you their test results. DO NOT put pure o2 in your cylinder and then hide that fact from your fill station. Bad stuff can happen if more than one cylinder is filled at a time with different o2 blends. Or you plkanning to get an air fill then top the fill off with O2 with your Haskell booster?

I have a Faber steel cylinder that is already O2 clean. What I'm asking is if putting the air at CSSP into my cylinder will require it to be re-cleaned (costs like $45!) before I can safely put pure O2 in it again (my LDS uses a Haskell for nitrox fills).

I would not assume the air at CSSP to be suitable for nitrox cylinders. They don't blend there. Maybe Debbie will elaborate.

TwoBit

sharkster:
I have a Faber steel cylinder that is already O2 clean. What I'm asking is if putting the air at CSSP into my cylinder will require it to be re-cleaned (costs like $45!) before I can safely put pure O2 in it again (my LDS uses a Haskell for nitrox fills).
Call and ask them if they are pumping OCA(oxygen compatible air.) If so, then no worry. Ask if they have data from air quality testing. It "may" be OCA.
Bill

Back
Top Bottom