Clear Mask Skirt Glare

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well I guess that pretty much sells me on the black skirt. I might as well get one right off the bat if I'll eventually wind up with it anyway. Thanks guys.

Many people use and prefer the translucent/clear silicone skirts and yes you can see movement through them thus increasing your situational awareness. They simply don't like black masks and do not read scaryboard. That said, the new super low volume maks like the Atomic frameless in black is an excellent choice. So little of the skirt is actually in the field of view that the claustrophobic feeling is eliminated.

My wife is an experinced diver certified in 1979 and she prefers a clear mask and does not care a flying flip about black masks, not everybody or even most progress to the all black uniform:

IMG_0644.jpg

N

Agree with Nemrod re the Atomic black frameless, own one and its the best mask that I have ever owned, as much for its fit as its field of view. I would not go back to a double lense mask again, at least not as long as I have/Atomic make the frameless. For plain old snorkelling I must say I prefer a clear skirt, but given that this is a scubaboard you may want to ignore this, just putting it out there. Cheers.

Buy what you like.I shoot (photo) underwater professionally and mostly use my old ,yellowing Tusa Liberator which I have had for probably 20+ years.I do have a backup mask which is BLACK but rarely use it.Both have prescription lens.

Most important thing is to get a mask with a GOOD and PROPER fit.

I'm a new diver, so I have no long term experience, but I have both and prefer my clear at the moment - probably has more to do with fit than anything else. I don't think I can really evaluate any mask until I have used it a few times. Just buy one that fits and have fun - you'll eventually have your own opinion too.

Clear skirt doesn't provide any extra field of vision. It does allow for some perception of motion/light off to the sides but you really can't "see" anything. I find it distracting. Most photographers prefer black skirt masks to eliminate glare and distraction.

Get a good, low-volume mask in black and you'll be fine. Personally I use and recommend the Atomic Frameless. Widest field of vision of any standard mask.

You can read my mini-review of this mask here:

Atomic Aquatics Frameless Mask at www.DiveSeekers.com

AA-framelessmask-3.jpg

Same mask I have and I absolutely love it. I may have to buy a few spares in case they stop making it. :)

Just buy what fits, ignore the skirt for now. I bet everyone on this thread owns 4+ masks anyway.:wink:
Everyone wants a spare is usually how you end up with at minimum a pair.
If you put 2 masks together in the garage in your dive bag, they will spontaneously multiply over a few years every time.:cool2:
I have 3 prescription Sea Vision masks personally.
Red=Daytime
Clear=Night Dives
Yellow=Mistake...I do not like it, but it is a good spare.
At least 6 other masks in the garage for the kids and wife and neighbor kids and I think one of them is for my daughters Standard Poodle.
Chug

It's not true all divers eventually wind up with black masks. My husband and I have both been diving close to 20 years and prefer clear.

It's not true all photographers prefer clear, my husband is an avid photographer.

The glare some people say is a problem with clear masks, I have no idea what they are talking about.

As far as yellowing, I keep my mask in it's plastic box instead of chucking it in with wetsuits and other rubber stuff, and have had clear masks for 10-15 years with no significant yellowing problem.

and, I think black masks look dorky on me.

So, buy what you like rather than whatever the common common scubaboard wisdom says. (Applies to many things, actually.)

Truth be told, I would by the Atomic Frameless mask in black or clear, color really doesn't matter to me. I just really like the mask. :)

Been diving for 19 years. Started diving with black masks and moved to clear and have stuck with clear. I like that I can see a glint of moving light and because of it I know my dive buddy is a little bit behind me and to my left (or right as the case may be). I honestly cannot relate to the "glare problem".
2974_89176386340_733631340_2944232_4459350_n.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom