Cleaning Rust Off a Dive Knife

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So there i was minding my own business when one day I wandered across the hilt of this dive knive. I picked it up and and made sure n critters were using it as a home. Oh there sure was stuff all over it but I had no compunction about letting the "plant" life die off. A quick rub down with scotchbrite did an ok job of getting the big stuff off like tunicates but the bryzoans and crinoids were a bit more stubborn. I ended up using a bench brinder with a soft brass wheel to buff those folks off. Yes they had etched themselves into the knife. Do I care? No it is part of the spare junk bag and if a diver desperately needs a knife for thier dive I can offer it up.. DO I care if it gets rust? No it is too beat up anyway. After someone uses it I hit it with W-D 40 and call it a day.

je

TRUETEXAN:
Try using Naval jelly or 000 steel wool.

I don't suggest steel wool, because it will leave small pieces of the steel wool in the metal itself. SS is very soft. the small pieces of steel wool will cause the knife to rust more often.

Back
Top Bottom