Cleaning gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For 15 years I've used a hose. I also dump all salt water out of my BC and add a bit of baby shampoo with lots of fresh water, then dump a few times over the next day.
I have read often that soaking first, then hosing is best--I am lazy I guess. I don't like soaking only as (to me) it is obvious the salt comes off into the water where your gear is. I figure a bit of it remains on the gear.
I have always rinsed my reg. separately, making sure the dust cap is on very tight. I know that is not what most recommend.
Both BC (though it's falling apart) and reg were bought 15 years ago used and have seen over 800 dives.

I rinse in a tub using a shower head type thing. Dump all water out of bc, add fresh water shake around pressurize and then dump out of the rear dump.

Wow. You guys are amazing. I just make sure I do a few fresh water cenote dives at the end of my Coz trips. Is that bad?

Wow. You guys are amazing. I just make sure I do a few fresh water cenote dives at the end of my Coz trips. Is that bad?

So you're saying you soak your gear for a couple hours in a very large freshwater tank after a week of diving in Coz? And your regs are pressurized while you're soaking them?

Sounds perfect!

My friends and I just let our millennial depression & social anxiety out by crying our tears into a 10 gallon Rubbermaid BRUTE trash can and then take turns dunking gear.

They go for about $20 online and don't break easily like typical garage storage containers when you tip the water out.

Alternatively you can fill it with a garden hose.

Can washing machine damage a wetsuit?
Yes it can. You don't need to scrub or de-soil a wetsuit; so a washing machine even on delicate/perm press is too heavy duty.

The tumble cycle could also damage the zipper or tear the wetsuit if the cord get's wrapped the wrong way around the wetsuit bundle. Or in the case of a top-load: around the center shaft of the washing machine.

At the least you can shorten the lifespan of your wetsuit.

Nowadays I usually have one dive day per week (1 or 2 ocean dives depending on the time I have).

Usually dive sites are near my home hence all these happen with things still wet:
I have a plastic baby bath tab I use to soak items. First batch things that are generally delicate and "clean": computers, masks, camera, fins, regulators (with a good DIN dust cap) etc. I leave them in water for as long as it takes me to rinse/clean my BPW and the tanks which I spray with the garden hose.
For the BPW I force some tap water through the inflator's mouth intake (and let some out through the gas quick connect intake). Then drain the bladder. Occasionally (every second - third dive day or so) I would unscrew the dump valve and fill the bladder with fresh water and then drain it.
Once BPW is done, I rinse one by one the items I had in the tab soaking. Camera, computers etc.
Once done, I soak the wetsuit(s) a bit, rinse them and hang them.
At the end I do the boots usually the most dirty items as I usually have to walk on sand or soil.
The whole procedure takes about 15-20 minutes.
Things are left overnight to dry hanging outdoors and are moved to my basement for storage next day.

I know I should leave things like the regs soaking for longer but well... I also don't use any chemicals.
Now that I think about it maybe that is why nobody wants to dive with me nowadays. Well I like solo anyway :)

I would guess that is fine (though I've heard that fresh water can be composed of particles that may be harmful--I don't know). As long as you clean your BC inside as well, as I have described.

Back
Top Bottom