Cleaning Atomic Clearview Frameless Mask?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RonFrank

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I generally use softscrub, or toothpaste to clean the inside of the lens on New masks.

I was about to do so on the Atomic mask, and than thought I better ask to see if it's needed, or if there are any differences in this lens vs. other masks.

So anyone? Thanks for the comments.

Toothpaste on mine, no problem.

Personally, I'd never use softscrub on a mask. It's a bit too abrasive.

I used Mcnetts Sea Buff...but I have a whole bottle at the shop....If I didnt, I would buy some, or go the free route and use toothpaste....Now if you have an Atomic with the Colored lens, or any mask with a colored lens, I wouldnt use anything but soapy water....Clear lens and your fine with the above

my LDS told me don't use toothpaste on mine...

Dive Right In Scuba:
Unless you have a color correcting lense, the toothpaste wont hurt it....other than that, its just glass like the rest of them.....there is less impurities(no green tint) but still just glass...

Thanks for the responses all!

I cleaned mine with toothpaste, twice. No doubt the LDS said not to use toothpaste, they would much rather sell you a specialized product! :D I'm never happy when people provide advice without real knowledge. Toothpaste is hardly abrasive, and it did no damage or anything noticeable to the glass other than it's clean.

I was not 100% if the lens had some special coating on it, but what Dive Right says makes sense. I'll find out if I cleaned it well enough this weekend. It did not seem to have much residue on it to begin with.

Seems like a great mask. I'll find out this weekend. Even if I like it, I think I'm going to sell my other masks (XVision), and pick up an XVision liquidskin. I KNOW I'll like that mask as I've been diving the XVision for over a year.

The atomic frameless is the mask that I just picked up.
I have never had a mask feel better...ever. Even though I am new to diving, I have been using masks since I was very young (I would consider myself an expert skin diver). This mask was just a whole new level of comfort for me... but everyone is different.

I was wondering the same thing though, as mine is still in the sweet looking slim black case.

Let me know what your finding is, Ron!

Justin

:14:

BigBubbaJ:
The atomic frameless is the mask that I just picked up.
I have never had a mask feel better...ever. Even though I am new to diving, I have been using masks since I was very young (I would consider myself an expert skin diver). This mask was just a whole new level of comfort for me... but everyone is different.

I was wondering the same thing though, as mine is still in the sweet looking slim black case.

Let me know what your finding is, Ron!

Justin

:14:

Hi Justin,

Just FYI, after manufacture there is generally a layer of residue left on the glass that can promote fogging. The traditional method of removing said offensive material has been toothpaste, or one of the products dive shops sell. I've always had good results with toothpaste.

The Atomic seemed *clean* vs. other masks I've purchased, but I went ahead and used toothpaste. I think all will be well. After a few dives, defog, cleaning with soap and water, and diving would remove the residue in any event.

Enjoy the mask! It feels to me much like my XVision which is a good thing. I really like the tear drop big eye style of mask, so I thought I'd try the clearview lenses to see what all the fuss was about!

Back
Top Bottom