Clean Up Lake Pleasant

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaSteve2000

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Now that the visibility is beginning to clear up a bit we can see all the debris and junk that ends up in the lake. With a Scuba Show being planned for April, I was thinking that it would be good to arrange a clean up day (or two) between now and then. Is there any interest in this? I guess it could be done as a full blown Project AWARE event. I don't know how long ahead of time you need to get them involved.

OR

It could be as easy as us divers deciding to do some cleaning up during our fun dives. There are more and more divers showing up on weekends now. Some are classes and others are dive junkies like me getting our bubble fix every weekend. It isn't uncommon to see divers ringing the shore from the spillway by the 10-lane boat ramp around to DT road. That's a lot of people if they want to participate.

Any interest?

When I was diving Pleasant on a regular basis we did this quite a bit. I bought a mesh bag and took it on most dives. I ended up loading that thing up dozens of times. I also always brought a collection of trash bags for dry land clean up. It's a great idea and shows how divers are good. If this is done enough maybe the next project at Lake Pleasant will be a dive park instead of a marina.

Every dive I make I come out of the water with both thigh pockets full of crap.
Doing an organized cleanup might be a good idea. If the interest is out there. I will throw in some gift certs or prizes to those that are involved. Let's see what the interest level is. Although, I'm pretty sure an LDS is going to see this and take claim to the idea.

I was thinking that it would be good to arrange a clean up day (or two) between now and then. Is there any interest in this?

You can count me in Steve. I'll talk to the guys at Inland Water Divers as well, I'm sure that there are some folks that would be happy to be a part of a clean up activity.:lotsalove:
:sharkattack:

Hi Steve,
You know that any non training dive I make at the local lakes I try to make a clean up dive. With the low vis at the lakes I don't do any photography there so it's something to do. I find most divers are fairly good about preserving the environment. It's a shame more of the users of the facilities don't actively try to maintain them.
Our inland waters take a beating from litterbugs too many people think if the garbage sinks or it's burried it's gone but we divers know better.

Oh sure, count us in, as the others have mentioned we usually take our trusty yellow mesh bag along on non-teaching dives to help clean up.

And Rob, I'll offer you this, incorporate your photography in the trash clean up. I've got a few clever photos of my buddies and some of the "treasures" we've found.

Wow! Thanks for all the input and interest. I'll see about contacting the people at Proj AWARE and find out what hoops have to be jumped through for their involvement. If anybody has had dealings with them, PM me with the contact's name and contact info. Other than that I'll do a search and destroy at their web site.
And by all means keep doing your own clean up efforts and encourage others to do the same. I'll keep you posted.

Steve.

Steve.

It looks like its as easy as posting an event on their calender. Anybody have any preferences for a date?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom