Clean those Pee Valves!!!!!!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

if you use a QD, you can get a squeeze bottle and put the the same fitting on it that is on your she-p/cath side and use the fluid to flush and then when the fluid is gone, use the bottle to push air through (or if your bottle is half full, just turn the assembly nozzle up so that air is pushed through)

same concept with the bulb syringe.

They don't really recommend a lot of pressure, as many pee valves themselves have little mushroom and duckbill valves in them that can be damaged if excessive force is used.

cool article! thanks for sharing, laura.

though i really think with a she-p the urine would ascend the vagina rather than the urethra, since that's the path of least resistance. and, in theory at least, that's a much more hostile place for germs than your bladder.

granted I don't have one on my suit yet, it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to flush the cath and valve with some listerine post dive

It is a great article. I ended up with a drug resistant bacterial infection in my bladder and kidneys that freaked the doctor out as it occurred in a male my age, and because of the potential morbity of such infections. It resolved after a couple weeks but it was a real butt kicker and I then ended up with acute prostititis that required additional treatment to resolve.

What has been appanrent on the board since my infection is that several other pee valve equipped divers have had similar infections related to pee valve use, so it is an issue that has not really been addressed all that openly.

Personally, I ensure the valve and any tubing gets flushed daily with either alcohol or a mixture of vinegar and alcohol. Pressure issues are a concern and preflooding the valve and tubing with urine may prevent some of the issues with unbalanced valves, but then you are also flooding the tubing and providing a potential path for any bacteria in the tubing to move ustream, so the valve and tubing needs to be sanitized on a regular basis.

And balanced valve or not, for males, if the end of the catheter get pinched shut or the tubing gets kinked, you have the potential for pressure to remain after a failed attempt to urinate. Consequnetly you want to be sure that anything that might back up has not been exposed to any germs if possible. So I ensure I am as clean as possible before putting on the condom catheter as well.

thanks for the post!

Interesting that you mention the 'cleaning of self'. It is something I recommend to all she-p users. A good anti-bacterial soap or if you can get it something like hibiclens (what I use). I have had no infection issues.

HibiGeebies: About

Hibiclens and Hibistat

The hibiclens kills bugs on contact, then bonds to the skin for continued persistence.

I think that pre-washing is a tremendously important concept. it is about reducing the bio-load in an area that can be pretty grimey at times :)

I installed mine so that I point down, the tube is short, not looped up and it goes straight out of the suit. I use nonprene tubing that is a few inches long, from catheter to valve. Mine is a basic "hole to the outside" with a bolt and oring. Initially, I "looped" the tubing and "shore nuff" got a nasty bladder infection. Not a problem after shortening the tube. I also use my ear beer to fill and drain after I am done diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom