Clean tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Powder rust? A quickie tumble should be all that's necessary to remove the rust. If you don't need to have it oxygen clean, then a quick wash with some soapy water and a rinse would be adequate. A final rinse with a rust inhibitor and a blow dry should leave your cylinder squeaky-clean with no more rust.

There is no liquid cleansing solution that will do the job of a tumble.

For quickie tumbles, you don't need an expensive tumbler. All you need a roller jig of some kind and some ceramic tumbling media. You can spin the cylinder by hand for 10-15 minutes to get the rust removed.

Of course, the above assumes that your cylinder is bare metal and does not have an internal coating.

Not the coating you are thinking of. All my fabers have it, It is a hare thin coating, Not the figuratively 1/8 think linings that you are refering to of yesteryear. That th9ick coating theat you reference does need to be removed.

???????
If you don't remove the coating, you can't get them inspected. Some companies coated tanks back in the 70s. But it's been at least 10 years since DOT regs required seeing the actual metal underneath the coating in order to certify a tank. Or did I misinterpret you?

Not the coating you are thinking of. All my fabers have it, It is a hare thin coating, Not the figuratively 1/8 think linings that you are refering to of yesteryear. That th9ick coating theat you reference does need to be removed.

That is a rust inhibitor coating Faber uses. I clean my Fabers every year, and that coating came off with glass beads, and Blue Gold.

Yes it is and i do everything i can to leave it there. If ever tunbling is needed it is minimal and only to do what was needed. There has always been very devisive opinions about fabers coating, however i like it.

That is a rust inhibitor coating Faber uses. I clean my Fabers every year, and that coating came off with glass beads, and Blue Gold.

Back
Top Bottom