Clean tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dead dog

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Is there a way to clean the inside of your tank with out tumbling them ?
I mean with a liquid of some kind.

dead dog

Not sure what you have to clean, but simple green takes care of "soft contaminates".

I am curious to know this aswell and does this applies to steel tanks aswell?

I am curious to know this aswell and does this applies to steel tanks aswell?

They'll rust.

After detergent / rinse cycles, either the tank must be purged with anhydrous dry nitrogen, or tumbled with rust inhibitor (GMC#42220OX), then blown dry with Grade E.

dead dog

Tumbling with media is pretty much required. Contaminates tend to bond to the cylinder walls. Mechanical removal is required.

Typically, glass bead & 1:100 crystal simple green (NOT REGULAR SIMPLE GREEN) is used for oxygen cleaning.

Plus, the glass bead peens the walls nicely and leaves a mirror finish, which prevents future deposits from forming.

Is cleaning/tumbling a regular maintenance thing? I.e. should I take my tanks into the LDS on some regular schedule to have it done? I was kind of assuming it was only needed if a problem was detected during visual inspection.

Is cleaning/tumbling a regular maintenance thing? I.e. should I take my tanks into the LDS on some regular schedule to have it done? I was kind of assuming it was only needed if a problem was detected during visual inspection.

Tumbling is utilized to remove heavy deposits, odors, or is used to prepare a cylinder to receive high pressure oxygen.

It is not considered regular maintenance, unless the cylinder is used for partial pressure blending (high pressure oxygen), in which case, the cylinder needs a detergent wash annually.

dead dog

You need to be more specific with your question. What do you mean by "clean" the inside of your tank? Are you trying to remove oxidation? Are you trying to get your tank oxygen clean? What do you mean by "clean?"

Also, what kind of tank are you trying to clean? There are different ways of cleaning different tanks.

More specific information is required to answer your question.

Dont forget that some tanks are coated adn ou dont want to remove the coating.

Dont forget that some tanks are coated adn ou dont want to remove the coating.

???????
If you don't remove the coating, you can't get them inspected. Some companies coated tanks back in the 70s. But it's been at least 10 years since DOT regs required seeing the actual metal underneath the coating in order to certify a tank. Or did I misinterpret you?

You need to be more specific with your question. What do you mean by "clean" the inside of your tank? Are you trying to remove oxidation? Are you trying to get your tank oxygen clean? What do you mean by "clean?"

Also, what kind of tank are you trying to clean? There are different ways of cleaning different tanks.

More specific information is required to answer your question.

Clean so you can eat off of it.
Steel tanks with powder rust inside. I see no lumps or craters inside the tank has fresh hydro.

dead dog

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom