Classic puck computer - US Divers Matrix vs. Ocean Data Plus 2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

edgrimley

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Recently busted out my old Aqualung/US Divers Matrix computer for a new member of the family who is diving. Still reliable and easy to use. Worked great.

Also came into possession of a similar-era Oceanic Data Plus 2 puck.

Trying to decide which one to use vs. the other.

I think the Oceanic is a little more featured but they are very similar overall. Similar age - I think they are both circa 1999.

Anyone have experience with both computers or a recommendation?

At this stage the new diver doesn't need advanced features such as Nitrox, air integration or downloadable data. Safety, simplicity, ease of use, reliability are important.

Thoughts on one vs. the other?

Attachments

• dive-computers.jpeg
    dive-computers.jpeg
    77.2 KB · Views: 60
Hi @edgrimley

The Data Plus 2 is 2 button, runs DSAT, nitrox capable. Looks like the Matrix is single button, what deco algorithm?, nitrox capable?

2 buttons are much easier to navigate through the options than with one.

Hi @edgrimley

The Data Plus 2 is 2 button, runs DSAT, nitrox capable. Looks like the Matrix is single button, what deco algorithm?, nitrox capable?
Thanks!

Both appear to be modified Haldanean algorithm. Matrix is no Nitrox, not downloadable (not important at this stage). So likely very similar - algo, size. The Oceanic two buttons....

Thanks!

Both appear to be modified Haldanean algorithm. Matrix is no Nitrox, not downloadable (not important at this stage). So likely very similar - algo, size. The Oceanic two buttons....
I easily found a user's manual for the Oceanic, could not find one for the US Divers Aqua Lung. I did not know that PPS ever made computers for US Divers Aqua Lung but sounds like it runs DSAT also. You could easily confirm by running the NDLs on the planner, assuming it has one, the Oceanic has one. Here is the Data Plus 2 manual https://www.oceanicworldwide.com/media/wysiwyg/manuals/12-2144-r00.pdf

I would probably go with the Oceanic for the two buttons and nitrox, assuming it also works perfectly. The Matrix would work just fine for air dives. Do you also dive DSAT?

I easily found a user's manual for the Oceanic, could not find one for the US Divers Aqua Lung. I did not know that PPS ever made computers for US Divers Aqua Lung but sounds like it runs DSAT also. You could easily confirm by running the NDLs on the planner, assuming it has one, the Oceanic has one. Here is the Data Plus 2 manual https://www.oceanicworldwide.com/media/wysiwyg/manuals/12-2144-r00.pdf

I would probably go with the Oceanic for the two buttons and nitrox, assuming it also works perfectly. The Matrix would work just fine for air dives. Do you also dive DSAT?
Thanks! I think we'll give the Oceanic a try.

No DSAT for me.

The Matrix had a pretty high "failure during dive" rate, even back when they were on the market. Of the two, I'd default to the Oceanic.

Thanks! I think we'll give the Oceanic a try.

No DSAT for me.
I'm pretty sure Oceanic is DSAT.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom