“Classic” Egypt tour package from Toronto?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dogbowl

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
My sister and I would like to visit Egypt this November and do what’s often called the “classic” tour package - Cairo, Nile cruise, Abu Simbel, all via domestic flights rather than train. For somewhere between 7-14 days, moderate accommodations to higher end. Unfortunately, I don’t think there will be any diving involved since my sister is not a diver. However, I trust the folks on SB, so that’s why I’m posting here.

Are there any recommendations for a reputable tour company that can offer this as a one-stop shop?

Also would like to hear from those who have done a similar tour. Tips?

I might be able to talk my sister into a few days at Hurghada or Sharm, and getting some dives in that way...but no full blown liveaboard, obviously. :(

many T.O. in Egypt can do it

I'm trying to remember with which ones I've been in the past (doing everything on my own for years, now...)

before all, visit Egyptian Tourism Authority (official site)

if you want a T.O. to arrange it all for you, you may try (but there are plent of them)
Egypt Tour Operator, Ramses Tours
Cosmos Tours | your reliable tour operator in Egypt
Dana Tours
Memphis Tours Egypt Contact Us
and the biggest one www.travcotravel.com

and for diving, there are also plenty of diving centers who will arrange everthing, picking you at the airport
(PM if you want some phone numbers)

Last edited:
@Sunn, thanks for your links. I've already made contact with Memphis Tours about some of their packages. Are there any Nile cruises or hotels that you recommend or not recommend? I understand that 5* in Egypt is more like a 3* in North America.

Would you recommend Sharm el Sheikh or Hurghada more for diving?

@Dogbowl...You should join us to dive in the Red Sea in late Sept. We are touring Egypt and Petra (Jordan) for the week after. Some of us are doing a 2 week liveaboard stint, some others just 1 week. I know it's not Nov, but just thought I'd throw it out there. :) Unfortunately, we are only seeing Cairo, Luxor, and Petra and not doing a nile cruise as you are asking for. I believe there is still space on week 2's liveaboard diving though.

Memphis Tours is who we are using as well.

PM me for details if you're interested! :)

@outofofficebrb, thanks for the offer but I’ll be traveling with my non-certified sister so a liveaboard is out of the question for this trip. The most I can expect in terms of diving may be a quick jaunt to either Sharm or Hurghada, where I can do some shallow dives while my sister does some Discover Scuba dives.

Just came back from a trip to Cairo and Luxor, we used Memphis tours and service was Excellent!

Also, if planning to stay at Cairo my suggestion is JW Marriott, hotel is great and good prices.. for me I'm Marriorr member so got 4 free nights, included access to Executive Lounge, so breakfast and afternoon drinks included for free... o yeah!

Do not use the train, I was talking to another couple at the Airport and they told me it is a horrible experience.

My wife and I did a fantastic 2 week trip with Uniworld on the Tosca in February 2016. Started and ended in Cairo with cruise on the Nile between Luxor and Aswan. Included a trip by air to and from Abu Simbel, a real highlight. I'm sure there are many similar cruises. Ours was marked by an outstanding Egyptologist/guide, who led all of the excursions and also spent much time giving us background information on the boat. This was the most interesting/educational trip we have ever taken, 5 stars.

@Sunn, thanks for your links. I've already made contact with Memphis Tours about some of their packages. Are there any Nile cruises or hotels that you recommend or not recommend? I understand that 5* in Egypt is more like a 3* in North America.

Would you recommend Sharm el Sheikh or Hurghada more for diving?

Nile cruise, no idea... I hate this kind of mass tourism trips (sorry for you and your sister :flowers:). But there are few tourists nowadays, except on the Red Sea, so it's a good time to visit the country.

Hotels, as I don't know where you'll go, you may have a look at Jaz Collection (this group has over 40 hotels, from 3* to palace, everywhere in Egypt). Reservation available directly on their site, sometimes better prices than the Jaz site on booking.com...

Diving, if you've never been in the Red Sea, Hurghada or Sharm are equivalent for your experience (Hurghada is usually less expensive) Be aware that these are cities, no more fisher villages (+/- 42500 hotel rooms on 25 kms of coasts for Hurghada).
If you look for something more authentic, go to Safaga.

Last edited:
Just a thought, but if the Nile cruise is motivated more by a desire to just be out on the Nile rather than a desire to get from A to B in style, there are felucca operators all over the tourist areas who are very eager to negotiate a deal to take you out for however many hours you desire. We did one in Cairo when we were there years ago. When we were in Luxor recently we had to fend the felucca guys off, they were so desperate for work.

@Sunn, thanks for your thoughts and recommendations! Very helpful.

@Lorenzoid , Egypt and a Nile cruise has been a long time dream, then the Arab Spring happened, along with other worldly and personal events preventing me from going. Now I can finally go and can afford so much more hotel and cruise ship!

Egypt is totally new and foreign to me and since we are 2 females travelling in a Muslim country, I thought the safest way to go is by mass tourism and simply be “tourists”. I don’t want to be an ignorant foreigner and cause any offence or receive any hassles or headaches. Plus, the package tours are still not full nowadays even though tourism is picking up. We can afford much more luxury now without breaking the bank so we’re going to take advantage of it. Although I checked out @scubadada’s recommendation for Uniworld and the River Tosca, but that is still beyond what we want to spend. Not to say I don’t want to though.

Perfection for me would be a one week on tour from Cairo to Luxor, Aswan, and Abu Simbel, followed by a one week liveaboard in the Red Sea but alas my sister is not a certified diver and life is not perfect.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom