Classes still calling "HELP" during training at CSSP

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

khacken

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I was at CSSP today and heard a cry for help. After the recent incidents there I took it very seriously and rushed down to the dock to see what kind of assistance was needed. Looking out at the lake I could see a buddy pair splashing on the surface and calling very loudly for help. I looked over to the nearest dock to see if anyone there was assisting and lo and behold it was a rescue class. I could hear the instructor prompting his students on what to do.

After all that has happened at CSSP, I was extremely disappointed that anyone would still allow their students to yell for help. I have heard rumors that certain agencies require this with the thinking that student would yell "PIZZA" or whatever other replacement in a real emergency. I completely disagree with that. Instead what we get now is a whole lake that is learning to ignore people calling for help.

What are your thoughts on this?

Yelling anything is going to get me running. From a distance pizza and help don't sound that different. When I did my rescue class we told everyone around what was happening and yelled softly.

I hope that at least they were in the right end of the lake were the Rescue classes are now required to be set-up. I agree---the word HELP should not be used in a practice situation! :no

khacken ~~ I've been wondering where the heck you have been... Ain't seen you since we were at the bottom of Valhalla Missile Silo :D

I think they should just come to the surface and Sing. """" Strangers in the night ,,, She said she loved ........ """"

Or something like that... I want to be entertained not freaked out when I'm doing a surface interval.

Yeah, it is especially troublesome when there are multiple classes operating simultaneously. Scubatoys tries to make sure that they use something other than "help", and announces to spectators that it is a rescue class.

if you know the instructor or his/her shop, you might want to contact them & suggest that they adopt another word in future classes- explain why, of course, so they don't get defensive. I like the idea of calling softly as danktex suggested. Since the entire class is (hopefully) engaged, it would help to stop stressful & unneeded responses from those not involved. As always, letting people who are around know what is going on before the excercise starts is going to help too.

Something other than the word "help" is a good start but not a complete solution. Perhaps adding a hot pink beanie to the acting diver(s) would eliminate most confusion.

Welcome to the Swamp Marvel
I'd guess you have been here but I've never said hi !
You know that Royalty doesn't stop by here too often :wink:

Timeliner:
Welcome to the Swamp Marvel
I'd guess you have been here but I've never said hi !
You know that Royalty doesn't stop by here too often :wink:

:rofl3: Tell Pete I am royalty... it has somehow escaped his notice!

Thanks for the welcome, BTW. I saw this thread come up in "New Posts" & it intrigued me. I seldom venture into the "Swamp" unless I am FG bound....& that has been far too long a time!

Honestly, the topic is such a good one that can happen world-wide that it should be out in Basic Scuba Discussions. The OP posted here, however & here it shall remain!

I think using "help" is appropriate. Naturally, a softer tone should be used. If the amplitude of the summoning word is being used for realism then why would we remove the realism from training by substituting another word?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom