Clark Hill/Lake Thurmond Dive 3/3/07

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diveprof

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Three of us (the two Daves and I) dove Saturday morning at Clark Hill (AKA Lake Thurmond to SC folks). Vis was good considering the heavy rains from last week. We had 10-12'. Temp was 50 degrees on the plane , a couple degrees less at depth (yes it is starting to warm up). Our dive today was to 105' for 1:03. We were wearing 7mm wetsuits with hooded vests. I didn't get cold at all this dive.
We began our dive with a descent to the three big rocks at 54'. We angled up past the pool filters to the 40' ledge, past the gnome, and down to the angel statue at 54' today (lake is up after the rain). We swam through the trench at 60' and exited down the slope to the 100' wall. Heading north on the wall we saw one cat. Vis was ok, but not what we had last week. We used our lights some on the wall. We then swam upward and southward through the forest and headed back to[-][/-] the trench. We swam over the trench and along the 65' wall. We then dropped down to the 80' wall. The new "skulls" were in place on the edge of the wall. We swam along the 80' wall w/o lights until we were down to 2 min. from deco. We then angled upward to the three big rocks and headed south to the plane doing a deep stop. We swam around the plane and upward to 30' heading eastward. After a few minutes we ascend up to 20' for a few more minutes and then completed an extended safety stop swimming back to shore. Nice dive today. With day light savings time coming soon and rising temps, we will be doing two dive shortly.

SuPrBuGmAn:
Thanks for the entertaining report :)

It ain't salt, it ain't quite muck (10 -12' vis), but those of us in this part of the state call it home when we can't play further South (Fl or carib). 15 minutes to the Lake, 15 minutes to the river. Life is good!:D

Sounds like average vis off AL coast beaches, plenty enough for fun :)

I wish I'd had 10-12' vis the past two dives I made this weekend. But like I've said anyone can dive 20-30' vis. I like low vis dives it gives good experience.

Thanks for the report Andy, it was a great dive!
:monkeydan

Andy,
What tank set up are you diving? Doubles? Just wondering. I could probably schedule a trip up for a day. If you'd like to guide? In return you can come down and dive our 6"-10' vis. gathering teeth.

ssflounder:
Andy,
What tank set up are you diving? Doubles? Just wondering. I could probably schedule a trip up for a day. If you'd like to guide? In return you can come down and dive our 6"-10' vis. gathering teeth.

Are you guys diving this Sunday?

Dschulte,
Don't knoyet we look at the forcast and decide on wed, thurs. We are diving either sunday or Sat. or both in Beaufort not in the Cooper too $$$$. We'll go about 6-8mi offshore and wet test my homemade speargun. Then hit the rivers the next day. Last night I fired a fiberglass spear 5" through my shop door without the tip. I think it'll do the job. Are you wanting to go?

w

ssflounder:
Dschulte,
Don't knoyet we look at the forcast and decide on wed, thurs. We are diving either sunday or Sat. or both in Beaufort not in the Cooper too $$$$. We'll go about 6-8mi offshore and wet test my homemade speargun. Then hit the rivers the next day. Last night I fired a fiberglass spear 5" through my shop door without the tip. I think it'll do the job. Are you wanting to go?

w

I am trying to track something down for Sunday the 11th. I have a lead with Deep South River charters, but nothing definite. I would love to join you guys on Sunday. If you are speering, I have a gun, nothing fancy though; or if you are hitting for teeth/relics that would be great as well. Just want to do something different. Of course I will have to hit the lake on Saturday morning, just can't dive in the afternoon on Saturday, have to take the wife to the airport.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom