Citizen watch, U.S. vs. International

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jbichsel

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Does anyone have experience with Citizen watches from the standpoint of the U.S. 5-year warranty vs. the international one-year warranty?

Also, if you were to choose between the Hyper Aqualand and the Aqualand Duplex, to compliment an existing Cochran Commander, which?

Lastly, Stainless steel vs. Titanium?

Thanks for any insight.

Well the five year warranty seems to last 5 times as long ... makes it better in my book, unless you'll be spending a year overseas diving a lot. Also, afaik the international models use metric scales, so you need to convert the display.

I have the Aqualand Duplex in titanium. Had the steel model first, then upgraded. It's lighter to wear, and corrosion is less of a worry. I choose the Duplex over the HyperAqualand because I use a Mac, and Citizen doesn't support that platform. There is a programm available now that will do that, though. Also, I find the analog/digital combo visually more appealing.

Either one is just a gauge (no deco calculation), so either one will make a decent back-up for your Cochran. The HyperAqualand has more memory and a (lousy) backlight ... .

I switched from the Citizen watch to a DiveRite Nitec+ watch/deco computer a little over a year ago, and like it much better. Can be used as a gauge, or two mix EANx computer, good memory, great backlight, everything is accessible from the watch without a PC (downloadable option).
Another alternative is the Suunto Mosquito, both of them are pretty close in price to the high-end Citizens.

Caveseeker:

How do you convert the display from meters to feet?

I have not been using my hyperaqualand for this very reason. I looked all over the internet and even wrote in to the citizen website. No reply. Maybe because I am in the Philippines and outside their service area. There is no "good" service center in the Philippines.

I too am a Mac user and would like to use this watch as my dive log. I guess I have to convert the supplied cable to a USB? Or do I need to buy the downloading console new? I already found the software.

Thanks.

Paul P once bubbled...
How do you convert the display from meters to feet?
Multiply meters by 3.28 ... sorry about the misunderstanding.
I wanted to say that it is a major drawback that you have to recalculate the metric display.
Paul P once bubbled...

I too am a Mac user and would like to use this watch as my dive log. I guess I have to convert the supplied cable to a USB? Or do I need to buy the downloading console new? I already found the software.
It's been a long time I was even intrested in using the Hyperaqualand ... if memory serves me right there was a discussion about an adapter plug that worked well with dive computers. It was Mac to Suunto's download thingy. Here are the two threads I could find in a hurry:

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10638&highlight=mac+usb+adapter

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=28101&highlight=mac+usb+adapter

The Keyspan USB adapter seems to be the front runner. Did the documentation for the Mac program mention anything about how to connect?
If not, that would be my first try.
Good luck, and let us know if it works.

I reset my watch by pressing all 4 buttons. This erases all memory.

When it comes back on, all fields are lit up. On top of the "m" for meters was an "ft". So I'm sure its possible.

I'm trying to contact citizen now. Will let you know.

Pal P,
I sent mine to the citizen service center and told them to change the settings. Works fine now. I'm sure Citizen has an authorized service center there. You might want to give them a call.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom