chrome plating flaking off after 1 session in the pool?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

coldfire22x

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
just picked up a couple of brand new atomic B2s (sealed) and had them in the pool for a few hours ... gave them a fresh water rinse before bringing them home and now about 2 weeks later, i was packing them up in preparation for a beach dive tomorrow and i noticed some metal flakes getting all over the place. i would guess it's the chrome plating on the DIN attach point ... does anyone know if this is indicative of a bad batch of regs? or what might have caused it?

Attachments

• IMG_20140407_221837.jpg
    IMG_20140407_221837.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 308
  • IMG_20140407_221923.jpg
    IMG_20140407_221923.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 273
Where did you purchase it? Can you take it back to the dive shop and perhaps have them swap it out? I'm sure Atomic would like to have knowledge of this.

Zog, yeah i have no doubt my LDS and atomic will make the situation right ... just putting out a feeler to see if anyone else has had this issue or could shed some light on it until i have the chance to talk to atomic :)

Looks like bad chrome. Yes, take it back.

---------- Post added April 8th, 2014 at 02:53 AM ----------

You could always post over in Atomics forum.

Production defects happen. If the problem is just on the din wheel, the fix should be the replacement of that part.

UPDATE: atomic replaced both B2s and then i had the exact same problem on one of the replacements after one day in the ocean. now they're replacing that one again ... great way to get brand new regs every couple of weeks!

UPDATE: atomic replaced both B2s and then i had the exact same problem on one of the replacements after one day in the ocean. now they're replacing that one again ... great way to get brand new regs every couple of weeks!

Likely a bad batch and unfortunately looks like you got two from the same batch. Luckily Atomic provide good customer service and are replacing them. Third time lucky...

I know this is old, but I had the exact same problem on my DIN for a brand new Z3. Atomic told my shop to swap out the Din and send it back. I ended up with an upgraded Din since they had no Z3s left. (in had bought all 3 they had)

Thanks guys for all the posts! Yes, it does sound like a bad batch of plating...Occasionally, we will get a batch in that just does not hold up. I am glad that we got the regulators replaced/repaired for ya....This is something that does not happen often but does not look great when it does!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom