Christmas lights........

Which do you prefer to decorate with????

• Multi color bulbs

Votes: 26 41.3%
  • Solid color bulbs

Votes: 4 6.3%
  • White/clear bulbs

Votes: 33 52.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

catherine96821:
I love all the lights! I used to think it was tacky because my mother and grandmother would make clicking sounds with their tongues and say that those houses "looked like beer joints". But then I had children and they always loved driving by the really gaudy houses the best.

Ken, how do you feel about illuminated baby Jesus in the horses feed trough?

At my old barn, we decorated all the horse's stalls and made them wear hats we attached to their fly masks.

So long as He's illuminated...

:rolleyes:

Whatever.

I'm not a scrooge. I'm really not. And you know what I embrace, so Christmas is pretty special to me (not as special as Easter, but that's another thread... :no )

I've been to the 100 Amp Christmas. I've built the giant displays. I've strung thousands of lights. I've erected the 22 foot Christmas tree. I've covered the 90 foot pine tree with 700 pounds of stuff. I've loaded and unloaded 57 boxes of Christmas stuff. I've had to move Christmas storage off site out of the garage and attic... get this: I WAS PAYING TO STORE CHRISTMAS DECORATIONS.

That was the year I asked for an intervention.

Actually, nothing that dramatic. I simply found the next biggest, most ridiculous house and literally dumped everything on them, and walked away. Wife 001 was none too pleased, as she was the Christmas Kid. She got over it (then got over me -but that's another thread... :no :no )

Anyway. I don't mind deliciously tacky stuff - and an all-weather, hollow plastic baby Jesus that you plug in to light up is the very poster child of deliciously tacky. But its just not my things these days.

There are enough people and enough agencies, publications, movies and outlets that don't believe and attempt to turn the Christmas celebration into a joke - watch the news the next few weeks, wait until Newsweek puts one of their very flattering interpretations of Christ on the cover and runs their annual "is He who He says he is" piece, and the NYT runs their always popular "God is Dead" piece. They'll be here any day now, just like clockwork.

Call me a buzzkill, but I strongly feel that someone who embraces the celebration and believes all this stuff doesn't need to put up yet another cabbage patch nativity scene and fuel the fire.

But that's just me.

---
Ken

Christmas lights........ should they be called Happy Holidays lights??? Haha.....

i was explaining to some of the MOFers today that on Chrissy eve, down here we leave Santa a couple of beers instead of milk and cookies

so it should be obvious how we decorate our trees down under!

Beer1.jpg

alcina:
Do you guys hate Santa over on that side? Trying to foist that nasty Foster's off on him :rofl3:
nahhh - we keep the fosters for the tourist! how else do you think we get enough empty cans to decorate with! :D

santa gets the good stuff.... sometimes even home brew

Multi color lights!!!

Y'all might not want to wander by my house in the summer. The icicle lights stay up for 18 months then get changed for a new set--this is my husband's doing not mine. Hubby just put a new set up this year and they will come down when they are worn out--takes about 18 months. Our icicle lights go through 2 Christmases and one summer, they look nice at night and we sometimes turn them on in the summer. Our house is 900 feet from the road and back in the woods so people who get offended by year-long lights have to drive back our driveway to see them and take offense.

Right now we have the icicle lights, 4 reindeer (non moving), pathcicles along the walk, 6 two-foot pre-lit evergreens, a couple of 3-foot candy canes and a half dozen other things spaced every 200 feet or so down the driveway. We got our mail late one day a couple of years ago, the substitute carrier stopped back at the house because she wanted to come out and see what the lights looked like when they were on after dark. Lights are on from dark until 10pm--gotta keep the electric bill reasonable.

I'm a Christmas baby, what do you expect :wink:
Ber :lilbunny:

Give me lights in lots of colors! Lights lights lights lights.... I live by the Edison labratory were he worked very dilligently on creating the frigin lightbulb (yes, its a choice to live in the historic district) and just love the Edison-Ford Estates all lit up in holiday house form... I'll take a pic this year to share! :D

Mo2vation:
HAH!

Hey - if you got kids, rock on. Turn your house and lawn into holiday playland.

We're child-free, so having a house you can land a plane by or a lawn that looks like a pop-up book would be just a little wacky.

---
Ken

Dude, just because kids aren't in your immediate life anymore means you have to give up being one youself. Screw lookin' good for the neighbors, have fun man!

Back
Top Bottom