Christi with Blue XTSEA Takes a TypeII DCS Hit (+)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry to hear about it. Have you had a PFO test? With two "undeserved" hits to date and plans to continue diving as soon as the doc says it's OK, you might have a condition that could be surgically repaired and help "DCS-proof" you for the future.

Hey kiddo! It takes a lot of courage to put our personal story out there knowing it will be carefully scrutinized. Even commented on with words that seem to hurt, likely not meant to be hurtful though. So my hats off to you for the tale of the lesson you learned and the words of caution and lesson on how to try and curtail a 'hit'.
By the way you looked wonderful the day we said adios. I expect nothing but great things ahead for you trooper chick.:D kevin

Feel better Christi, take care of yourself!! It was great to see you at Carnival!

Take care. I made Jay read your post twice. We'll see you in May. We leave tomorrow for RA, so if you send an invoice I'll take care of it when we get back.

Thanks for taking the time to share your story. We are all human and make mistakes. By posting your story it will likely prevent other divers from getting bent, myself included. I need to hydrate more and will make it a priority. I'm glad to hear you're doing better. I'm sure you will dive again, but taking it slow is the wise move.

Hope you get/feel better soon Christi. I have followed your story for years - from when you went to Sol Cabañas and realized Cozumel was for you. Thank you for re-educating us all about DCS. And yes, I get it - slow down and hydrate!
:blinking:

Thank you for sharing the details of your accident, Christi - it will help many who read it. My daughter has had run-ins with dehydration participating in other sports, and since we started diving I have always stayed on her case about it. Diving with Blue XTSea on Shamu, I have always appreciated that we were each handed a bottle of cold water immediately upon boarding!

We're hoping for your speedy complete recovery and conspiring to return again next year.

Christi, very courageous sharing, thank you. Heading down in a few weeks, if there's anything
I can bring you, or that you need, please let me know. Best of everything your way.

Christi,
I'm glad that you are starting to feel better.
Thank you for posting about your situation.Your advice might just be what helps another diver avoid what you are going through.

As a "been there done that" person, who had a DCS2 hit in 2004 (not as severe as yours-"only" 6 chamber rides required), let me say PLEASE follow all the instructions given to you by your doctors. After my "hit" it was a good 6-7 months before the tingling went away, and before I felt a "normal" level of energy.
Every time I'd try to "overdo", I'd pay a price in backsliding.

Please be good to yourself.
It sounds like you have a good support network nearby-let them do some of the things that you would normally take care of. I'm sure its tough , but your #1 task should be your recovery.
Best of luck in getting well.
Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom