Chris Sawyer Diving St. Saint Thomas - Review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey Scubabrandon,

Like some of the other posts, it’s really too bad that you didn’t enjoy your dives and your experience at Chris Sawyer. As someone who used to work there (back in the mainland for a bit) I can say your description is not at all typical of the operation.

Also sorry to hear about your experience with Larry, I can also say that’s not typically of him or the other Instructors, Captains and staff there. From experience, and it’s not an excuse for him at all, but the catch-22 of working in the tourism industry is that your one bad day is the divers only day with you so that’s their take away. Again no excuse but another reminder to all dive professional reading this.

As far as the sites they do dive a variety of sites, weather, current, visability, guests experience, etc. often dictating where to go. However Tim is right in his earlier post that shallow diving is pretty standard for St. Thomas diving. (St. Croix does have spectacular wall diving thought). Yes there are wrecks on the South side (and one on the East) but it’s usually the Captain and Divemaster (Instructors) call on where to go based on the criteria above.

RichinNC’s remark about the restaurant is a good one. If you’re ever down there again, and willing, I’d suggest giving them another try. I know all the staff there would be chomping at the bit to change your mind and show you what Chris Sawyer Dive Center is really all about.

As a last note, Wayne is on this board pretty frequently so he’s may have already seen your post and I have sent it to Chris (Sawyer) for you. Chris always wants everyone to have the best experience and wants everything to be right so will be disheartened to hear about your experience.

But if you’re willing and open minded, give them another chance and I’m sure your experience will be a much different one.

Chris

scubachris-
1 quick thing I didnt post on, Wayne was on these dives. He and Staci were the only ones who smiled and thanked me at the end.
My thing is this. When you pay 15 bucks to get a private taxi instead of the normal 6 bucks to bust your *** to get somewhere ontime because you are told that your credit card is going to be charged 100 bucks if you are late, when this is apparently not true, when you sit in the sun waiting for 30 min to leave, when your "leader" is a jerk, its hard to trust that shop and actually give them a second chance. 100 bucks is alot of money to me and I feel as though I wasted it. Right now I feel as too much went on in those 3 hours to gamble with my money. Sadly the only good I can say about my dives is I logged 2 more and my picture cd I bought is nice.

You are exactly right when you say that 1 bad employee day can cost your op money. It definately has. I am open minded, but to get me diving with them when I am back in the USVI would take them giving me 2 uncharged dives to make up for the 2 I paid for a few weeks ago.

I'm sure Chris Sawyer would take my comments seriously since it is his show. Things like this a lot of times signal the decline of a business. 2 Years down the road the owner is wondering what happened. Like I said before, I wasnt the only one who walked away with a bad taste in my mouth.

When I cruise into St. Thomas I usually use the ship op. and dive the harbor. I get wet, I get to so-so dives but I avoid the stress of trying to get over to Red Hook for marginally better diving. Sorry about the 20-20 hindsight.

i was in St Thomas in May. Dove with Admiralty. But anyway, what happens underwater is a lot more important than topside. Before making reservations, try finding an outfit that will promise to take you to the "deep" you want. I was on St Thomas for a week. Like they said, most dives are not deep. 59' was the deepest for me.

My brother worked at Chris Sawyer Diving from 2000-2002 as a dive leader/instructor. I went down there a couple times to dive with them on Fool's Gold. The diving was all shallow reefs, with the brief exception of the bow of the RMS Rhone at 70 fsw (if you call that deep and exciting). That is what my brother told me to expect diving down there, so I was okay with it. I don't know if you had a mental picture in your mind or what, and were just dissapointed with the reality of "paradise", but Chris Sawyer runs a squared away operation. Perhaps the leader....this Larry character just left a bad impression on you. Did you write a letter to Chris about how you feel about Larry? I think that would be more fruitful than defaming a dive op. Chris is a real cool guy, and loves the islands, diving, and especially the Rhone. He will read what you write him, and if he needs to, he will act.

Chris Sawyer Dive Center is fine, so get on down there to Red Hook Bay! By the way, Chris used to read these boards....Chris, my brother Mike Tilmon said to say hey! PM me for his email. He is about over his Rock Fever, and may be wanting to return to the Rock!

Tom

As I said earlier, I was in St.Thomas in November and used Chris Sawyer's Op. I have my log book infront of me....after a week of diving my deepest dive was
62 Ft. on a night dive!
Wreck General Rogers night dive is...amazing. :)

I know of about 2 wrecks in St.THomas that are in 90ft of water. It really depends on conditions though. I never got to go to either of them.

fpsndiver:
Did you write a letter to Chris about how you feel about Larry? I think that would be more fruitful than defaming a dive op.
Tom

I am simply doing what an internet community forum is for. Stating the facts on what happened on my dive and why I would not be giving them my business again.

That may be true Brandon...and your right. But think of it this way......
Suppose YOU had a business and couldnt be everywhere every minute of the day and one of your customers had a problem with one of your employees.

Would you want the customer getting on the internet and saying your business sucks and no one should use it? Whether you use those exact words or not....it all means the same.

I would think you would rather be contacted and get it sorted out. I never worked for the guy so I have no possible positive consideration for the ops....but....I DID have a great time....had no problems with the crew.....and while it certainly wasnt the deepest or greatest dives I have ever done.....I had a great time.

You can sure do what you want.....but I think its unfair to judge an ops based on ones days diving.....and one meeting of part of the whole crew.....especially without giving Chris a chance to make things right. But its your choice and I respect that.

rich

scubabrandon:
I am simply doing what an internet community forum is for. Stating the facts on what happened on my dive and why I would not be giving them my business again.

That is great, and it is your right and all. Don't you think it would be more productive to write Chris Sawyer a letter. www.sawyerdive.vi there is an email link on the page, write a letter and put Chris Sawyer in the attention field.

I understand what you are doing, and what you are trying to express here, but like Rich said above, the owner can't be there at all times watching what goes on at sea. If you inform him of your perceptions that day, he may be able to resolve the problem immediately, and he may be willing to remedy your ills as well. Come on, you are from Tennesee....."Catch more flies with honey?" That way, when other people go there to dive with him they don't have to put up with the DM that you did.

Tom

fpsndiver:
Don't you think it would be more productive to write Chris Sawyer a letter. www.sawyerdive.vi there is an email link on the page, write a letter and put Chris Sawyer in the attention field.

Come on...I have been around long enough to know how the game works. That email I would write would NEVER make it to Chris Sawyer and you know that. I know you can catch more flies with honey than you do vinegar...but I was also not born in the dark and it sure wasnt last night. I also know what "you scratch my back and I'll scratch yours" means too. I know that if an email was sent, one of the employees would read it and "accidentally" delete it or "forget" to tell Chris about it. Thats how it works with common ground employees. They watch out for each other, it turns into an "owed" favor for when they have messed up. The one who signs the paychecks never finds out.

I do have this opinion on Chris Sawyer: Chris Sawyer loves diving, he loves the islands, and HE cares about his customers. This whole deal is nothing personal against Chris Sawyer the man. This is simply the facts on what happened to myself and the others while on 2 dives with his shop. I know that had he been around, the events would be different.
I will make this promise to you, I will make 2 phone calls to try and reach Chris personally. If I cannot reach him then that will be 4 times total I have been in contact with his shop and he has not been around his own shop.

Back
Top Bottom