Chris Sawyer Diving St. Saint Thomas - Review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubabrandon

Reaction score
I dove with Chris Sawyer diving in St. Thomas the second week of August. I must say that after the hype I read, I was really let down.

I called to get pricing and to find out if any spots were still open for the morning dive. The price was fair and they still had some spots open. As with any other dives I have booked I had to give them a credit card to hold my place. After the lady got all my info and got me booked she gave me a big speech on how I HAD to be there on time and they would not wait. If I missed my dive and didnt give them 24 hours notice they would charge my card. I was told the dive boat left at 9am.

My cruise ship pulled into port at 7:45am, I got through immigration and was walking off the ship by 8:20am. Knowing I had less than 40 min to get to the other side of the island I got a taxi by myself. I told the driver I had to be there before 9am. He about killed us getting there, but by god I was there about 10 min early. I got signed in got my weights and went to the boat. Well we waited, waited, then waited some more. about 20 min after I was told the deadline to arrive was I finally asked what the wait was. Well we were waiting on a couple more people. Finally the boat left the dock a little after 9:30am. Half an hour late. I guess the "be here on time" rule applies to me only.

The diving was great if you were doing an open water check out. For me it was LAME LAME LAME. I laid my computer on the bottom and got 49 feet. Both dives were the same: A shallow reef. When I spoke with the lady on the phone, I was under the impression that my 2 dives would be different. She said there were so many sites including some wrecks.

The dive leader I had was a 24 karat a-hole. His name is Larry. This guy has no business leading real divers. He should stick to snorkeling. He offered up NO info on the reefs, gave no names. When I tried to ask him a question about the second dive site, he scoffed at me and went to the front of the boat. Believe me when I saw there were 3 other people on the dive that did not care for his terrible attitude. Larry- your actions are costing Sawyer dive some money, more on that later.

This is the thing that really ticked me off. On the way back after the 2 incredibly beginner dives, I went to the back of the boat to rinse off my computer and my camera casing with the fresh water hose that we were told by Wayne we could use. In fact Larry was using it to spray water on this 12 year old girl. She was not happy about it. I rinsed off my camera and was about to get my computer when Larry comes back and says "You cant use that for rinsing off equipmment". He said I was wasting the water. I asked why he could use it to spray people in the face that didnt want to be. I was told "Thats not the point". I shook my head and walked off. I'm on vacation so I'm not going to argue or get into anything. I dont need that crap or 'tude on vacation, nobody does.

I have had a few people pm me on this board and I have let them know the above info. 3 people have sent me back a message thanking me for the info and have decided NOT to use Chris Sawyer Diving. My dad is a diver and will be diving in St. Thomas at the end of September. He has also decided not to use Sawyer Dive. Larry- see what your attitude is doing for business.

I do have to give credit where it is due. Staci the photog was super nice and sent me a cd of great pics. The dive boats were very nice too.

I really wish I could have posted a gleaming review, but I have to give my fellow divers my honest write up. My advice is to skip Chris Sawyer Diving and try another outfit.

A couple of quick things. Viz was pretty good and the water temp was wonderful. I used a half mm full coverage skin. Water a little choppy, but not really much of a current.

Wow.
That's nothing like the CHRIS Sawyer op i know! I was down in November and I used Chris Sawyer's op all week. I had a great time. I'm not exactly jacques cousteau...but I'm not a beginner either. I did some great dives with the company including an amazing night dive.

We never waited for anyone...dives left on time. There weren't that many people on the boat + the boats were really nice.

I dove with Larry a few times and I thought he was a nice guy. Prephaps there is a another Larry there now...I don't know! Actually, I can't say a bad thing about anyone @ sawyer's.

I also dove with Underwater Safaris...when I was on a cruise. They were a good op...but it was all cruiseship people and I was staying in Red Hook.

I'm looking forward to returning to st.thomas (eventually!) I really loved the island.

Sorry you had a bad experience!
-Christine

As for me, the experience could not have been any more different. Had 6 great dives with them. We had two DM's on board and both were very friendly. We got a briefing about each location before the dive. There was no problems cleaning cameras or dunking masks.

I guess its like the proverbial great restuarant you eat at all the time and tell your friends how good it is....then you take them there.....and they serve crap a la mode.

I would still recommend the Sawyer ops....and....if you are all that upset you ought to send the url to this thread to Chris so he can get things straightened out.

rich

Yikes. A couple thoughts: 1) Most of the diving in St. Thomas is shallow reef. If you are looking for impressive walls and deep dives you will be disappointed; 2) Sounds like you got there on time and had to wait, not really all that uncommon - God favors drunks and idiots! I can't count the number of times I have seen dive boats, air flights, buses, etc. wait for the tardy when they would have left on time if it had been me being late!

RICHinNC:
you ought to send the url to this thread to Chris so he can get things straightened out.
rich

Got any ideas on what his email or contact maybe?

Tim Ingersoll:
Yikes. A couple thoughts: 1) Most of the diving in St. Thomas is shallow reef. If you are looking for impressive walls and deep dives you will be disappointed; 2) Sounds like you got there on time and had to wait, not really all that uncommon - God favors drunks and idiots! I can't count the number of times I have seen dive boats, air flights, buses, etc. wait for the tardy when they would have left on time if it had been me being late!

I can completely understand waiting 5 min 10 at the most. But half an hour??? Everything felt rushed too. Basically felt like "Lets get these people to some water, get them in, get them out, get them to a site with a different name, get them in, get them out". The shops I have been with in Mexico ran so much better than this op. I'm glad I wasnt the only one aboard who was aggrivated about this dive day. There was an older couple and a younger lady who were talking about the attitude we all got from Larry.

yep that would be his web site

When you email the address on the website, it goes to the reservations person. Not that big of a deal anymore to me. I just wont be diving with them, nor recomending them. Not like I'm going to actively seek out potential customers, but when people ask I will tell.

Back
Top Bottom