Choosing new fins - Apeks RK3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Hello fellow divers,

I am a young divemaster, and I am looking to buy a new pair of fins instead of my Cressi Frog ones. I am thinking about getting Jet fins and I like the Apeks RK3 a lot. I am torn between the normal soft version of the fins and the HD hard one. Which is better for recreational diving given that I will be diving in a 5 mm wetsuit and even less in the summer.

According to Apex website: The soft ones are more flexible and slightly positively buoyant, however, I read it is not good in currents. The hard ones have the maximum efficiency and propulsion but they are heavier and negatively buoyant.

There is also the option of XDeep jet fins.

Thank you in advance for all your support. Eat, sleep, dive.

I have the "normal" RK3.. and they are stiff, I don't think that any stiffer version would be any good in an open water environment (maybe in cave diving they could be good).
They are slightly positive, however it's not bad, instead it helps to have your legs in the horizontal position (with both the wetsuit and the drysuit).
They are not good in current, whenever most of divers shouldn't fight the current (normally), if for logistic reasons you need to swim for long in current, you will struggle a lot. But this is true for every other technical fin.
They have a big advantage: they are light out of the water (if you have the necessity of carrying them around).
I like them much more than the Scubapro Jet fin (talking about wide used technical fins).

I had the "regulars" and didn't find them that stiff, not as stiff as my DR XTs anyway, or as stiff as jets for that matter. Kinda depends a little on what size you wear, the blade on the regular RK3s is quite small, same as a L jet. No current diving I loved them, any current and I wished I was wearing something else. I sold them and now use XTs for all my wetsuit diving.

My wife has a set of RK3s. I've tried them and they're quite floppy compared to my Slipstreams. Not a huge amount of power available, but lots of control. I wouldn't choose them for anything other than minimal current, single cylinder diving. I think the design with a stiffer material would be nice though - would be interested in trying the stiffer version myself, but would still be loathed to part with my Slipstreams :D

I'll say they are a good overall fin. Some like stiffer, some like softer, a lot of personal preference. I like mine. Others that have borrowed them like them as well. I may have sold a few sets. Just the regular RK3s. I bought mine after a 'try me' dive with them that the owner of a shop had brought out for people to sample. Happy enough that I am not shopping around anymore. He went back to the shop with an IOU and I had to wait for the invoice. Got these after the old fins (forgot what they were) proved too soft once power was needed (added drysuit). Since getting them they are my standard go to fin for any diving, wet or dry.

Personally I am middle of the road. If I were move muscular I might have issues with the regulars being too soft. If I try to over power the fins I am over exerting myself. Your results may vary.

RK3's are soft and floppy. Haven't used the HD's, but based on my use of the regulars, I'd go right for the HD's.

I would go with the regular RK3s as you are diving in a 5mm wetsuit. The heavier HD version of the RK3s are better suited for a drysuit. The regular RK3s do flex more than heavier versions of TEC style fins like the Jetfins, but I don't mind as I have pretty good control and they are lighter weight and great for travel.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom