Choosing My Next Pair of Fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Firthy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am needing help choosing my next pair of fins. The need to be reasonably priced, around £50 ($100) and be available in the UK. So far I have narrowed it down to between:-
Dacor Panther Fins
and
Cressi Rondine

Which have been the recommendations of the LDS, but a second opinion would be nice. At home the water temp is quite low, hence the open foot and I prefer wreck diving and gliding along the bottom (guess that rules split fins out). I use frog kick on occassion so ideally it would be able to preform well using it and normally.

I would appreciate comments and suggestions for fins.

Thanks
Firthy

dkktsunami,
Thanks for the suggestion but OMS Slipstreams don't seem to be available in the UK. If I were to buy them from Leisure Pro (USA) incl. P+P they would be $140 :depressed:

Might I suggest Mares Volo, they have an amazing performance whether you are doing the scissor kick, dolphin kick or the frog. I mainly use the frog and if I need to step it up I go downward with a dolphin and spread to the frog. Either way the best thing I like is the buckle design, one can get the fin off even with a dry suit with relative ease. Pricing, shop around. Plus you get what you pay for.

bluediver042,
First of all, Welcome to :sblogo:

I did look at the Mares Volo online but I could only find them in the £80+ range ($160+), but I imagine they are cheaper in the USA but shipping costs and import taxes would make it not a viable option to get them shipped here so I guess I am still on the lookout.

I heard somewhere that Dacor uses Mares technologies, patents and designs. If this is true do Dacor have a version of the Volo?

Firthy

I like my Turtle fins :XS Scuba Turtle Fins from LeisurePro.com

Turtles don't limit the kicking styles, so you can do good anti-silting kicks with them, back kicks, and other kick that are difficult at best with some other fin styles. Also, I like the negative weight of them for balancing out my trim.

Sherwood Kenisis is like the Volo. Best bet is to go to the local dive shop with a pool, try the different types and go from there. You never know, what looks good might have lousy performance characteristics for you. The OMS slipstreams are nice and rugged. I myself would wait until you have the money for the nicer fins, buying cheap does not always work. Another thing with the Volos is the slightly negative buoyancy characteristics. You don't have to be as careful not to drop them when you take them off in open water. Expensive mistake

I bought cheap fins. I got a pair of used jets for $30. They will do any kind of kick you can come up with. Also, you can get them new at LP for $65. With shipping, that should get them to your door for less than your budget.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom