Choosing equipment, and maintenance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have about 20 regs in my fleet right now. It's not that big of a deal to outsource the servicing. I also do little things like open the adjustment knob all the way (while depressing the purge button) in order to extend the life of the 2nd stage poppet when I'm not diving.

FWIW, DACOR and ScubaPro used to make purge button depressors that had the sole intent of releasing the knife edge from the poppet and extending the service life while storing your regs.

I use the small cookies that @cool_hardware52 sells for doing that on my 109's. Jetstreams don't need them just need to remember to pull the switch to dive.

Sidemount-2
Doubles-2
Singles-1
Double Hose-1
CCR onboard-2
CCR Rack-2
FFM-1
Stages/deco-at least 6?
then the spares....

Is the ability to conduct all the maintance and service on your gear a determining factor in making a purchase? Who do you trust more when your life is on the line, your attention to detail, or that of a technician who just sees another regulator across his table for an hour?

For making a purchase - it is now. I got convinced that Apex was the way to go for tech and while I don't agree with Aqualung's revenue stream protection policy, I can get service kits. With two exceptions, I don't trust the 'service techs' at dive shops at all. However, having said that I've only had one reg fail (no gas) in 40 years of diving - and that was immediately after it was 'serviced'! I have also had a few regs improperly reassembled that managed to continue to operate. I learned to service the regs myself through using the manual (available on-line) and getting advice and tips from the two technicians I trust.

The shop I used to use took three weeks to service a reg - I'm a very active diver and now service a reg in two days (taking my time to do first stages one evening after work, and second stages the next) - in the middle of the week and have it/them ready for testing by the weekend. No more losing time in the water because of a shop that does not prioritize servicing. There's also the significance of knowing your gear and what condition it is in, as mentioned above. Lastly, I don't service my own to save money, and certainly not time, I do it so my gear is serviced properly (I'm a little OCD/anal and very particular with my gear) and I maintain a familiarity and comfort with it.

FYI - between me and my wife, we have 9 regulators.

7 DH
2 tech kits
3 SP warm water travel kits (self, wife & daughter)
2 HOG cold water kits (wife & daughter)
2 pony sets
1 deco kit
3 long hose recreatonal kits
our original MK-10/156/Air2 kits (2)
12+/- 109/156
6+/- g250
1 G250HP
6+/- MK-5
4+/- MK-10
1 MK-20
1 Pilot
4 Air1
2 Air2
2 MK-3
1 MK-2
MK-11
MK-15
2 D350
2 D400
and a whole bunch more.....

As divers that pursue more challenging dives, we are required to acquire new skill, through training as well as equipment, and maintain proficiency with both.

Is the ability to conduct all the maintance and service on your gear a determining factor in making a purchase? Who do you trust more when your life is on the line, your attention to detail, or that of a technician who just sees another regulator across his table for an hour?

And if you do maintain your own gear, where do you gain the skills to do so?

For me yes, being able to maintain my own gear (and by that I really mean regulators, wings, etc., not my Shearwater) determines what I buy. I trust me, and my attention to detail the most. I gained the skills by first doing it with the manual, and later taking the class that confirmed that I was doing it right. Nothing ventured nothing gained :).

So, for those of you that send your regs away to be serviced, who are you using? I have a bunch of the older Hollis DC1/212 regs and also a couple Hollis O2 regs. I’m on the west coast in Southern California. Do you guys know anyone good out here, or are you shipping your regs out to a service place? What are your turn around times looking like if you do that?

I would call Dive Right In Scuba and see if they have the service kits. Would have no concerns with getting the regs serviced there.

good luck, Hollis has never been able to keep service kits in stock at all their dealers. If you strike out at DRiS, call Air Tech Scuba in Raleigh, they may

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom