Choosing computers...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SPG stands for 'Submersibe Pressure Gauge'.

Actually for me, air integrated (hoseless) was nice for two reasons.

1. Main reason: Air pressure is right on my wrist, with no need to grope for SPG. Sure, the SPG is right there when I grab for it, but it's soooo much more easier to just glance at my wrist. This becomes even more relevant if you are taking photos, and then some more if you're taking pictures at night. After doing that a few times, I decided that the Vytec was worth it. (Of course, I bought one used on Ebay, so the price wasn't THAT high.)

2. Added benefit: No need to remember air info for log purposes and SAC calculations. I found that if I do more than 2 dives a day, I have a hard time remembering the start/end pressures for the dives.

The remaining air time may be useful info, but I dived without that for a decade, so I don't really need it. And as Arnaud says, it causes brain rot. :D

As for the precision, although it is nice to be able to write down 1620psi instead of 1600psi in my log book, I don't find it much of a benefit. You're not planning your dives to the second on remaining air, so it's really a non-issue, IMHO.

I have a AI computer, an Oceanic Data Trans. A bit dated, but still going strong. I initially bought it to eliminate one more hose.

IN the middle of a dive about a year ago, the computer blanked out.

No problem, thought I. I whipped out my slate with my dive plan, time compensated for depth, (Taken from my tables as a backup) etc, checked my backup timer and thought I was good to go.

I reached for my SPG to check how much air I had left. Oops!

Needless to say... I aborted teh dive and now dive with a small, quality SPG as a backup.

Mel

Aquanaught,

I was were you are now a little while ago, trying to decide on a computer/spg configuration. I opted to go initially with the Suunto Vyper and SPG on a console. Ultimately, I found having a wrist mounted air integrated computer was the way to go (at least for me) so I plunked down the $$ for a Suunto Vytec and transmitter and I absolutely love it. I've kept the SPG and Vyper on the console as redundancy - I just tuck it into a pocket or under the stomach strap and I don't even notice it's there.

This way, I have redunancy if something should happen with the vytec or the transmitter. Though nothing has happened yet, it's nice to have the redundancy.

Back
Top Bottom