Choosing a Regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To the original question... I have purchased three new regulators during my diving career. Two were purchased based on the recommendation of the LDS. The third was purchased because it was a newer version of the first regulator.

In both cases of recommendations, I was very satisfied with the purchase. Indeed, I still use the USD Conshelf SE3 that I bought in May, 1995. I probably will stick with Conshelf regulators for myself.

Good luck with your decision.

havaiisteve:
Decisions, Decisions. I've narrowed my choices down to 4 companies. How about Din Vs Yoke? From a technical point of view I haven't seen anything that suggests one is better than another. It appears to be a regional issue. I plan to dive primarily in Hawaii and Pacific Rim countries (looking forward to Bali, last time I was there was 1959)

Hey Steve,

Living in Hawaii it's nearly impossible to find tanks with DIN valves (I bought my own tanks so I could use DIN) and using the adapter tends to push the regulator closer to your head making it easier to hit constantly. Also you then have 2 O-rings that could fail instead of 1. That's the downside to DIN. The upside has already been mentioned - more secure, fewer O-ring failures and gaining popularity as well being a better choice if you think you'll ever get into technical forms of diving. You may want to consider getting a Yoke reg now and then down the road if you pick up your own tanks switch over to a DIN first stage.

Aloha, Tim

P.S. Personally I like DIN, it's just not as convenient in Hawaii :(

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom