Choosing a Regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cuberoot3i:
a lot of regs out of the box will dive up to 4o% o2, sherwood frist stage works great in ice and extream conditions. i dive with atomic z-1 second stage attached without any problems. the manufacture will tell you to service once a year but the LDS might break something that doesn't need fixing. i'm on my 3rd year with a perfect regs(2) without servicing. parts and labor is major income for shops.
when you buy, shop around. LDS will sell you what they have. it may not be what you need.

Please service your regs. They use the word accident for a reason. No one ever sees it coming.

i dive doubles for reduntency, only accident i've had was equipment problem when a bc inflator got stuck open on an ice dive. i should have use my day suit inflator more that day.

cuberoot3i:
i dive doubles for reduntency, only accident i've had was equipment problem when a bc inflator got stuck open on an ice dive. i should have use my day suit inflator more that day.

Lots of people drink and drive. They see no problem with it. Never been in an accident.

mle_osu:
Do I just talk to the Diveshops?
Emily, after you glean all the info you can from this thread and get a few ideas, call or drop by Scubatoys (in Carrollton). Larry is GREAT to work with on buying equipment. I'd bet he would let you hop in the pool (inside his dive shop, all nice & warm) to try out different equipment before you buy. Their selection is outstanding, as are prices (new-with-warranty gear for internet, gray market prices).

They will help you find the best equipment for YOU, not necessarily what is the most expensive. Too many shops I've been in only want to wring every penny out of you while they can, and at full list price (or more). Also, a lot of shops only carry one or two brands.... and of course those brands are 'the best.' Larry has most of the major brands, much more to choose from.

Regarding annual service, ask them what they will do the service for if you buy the equipment there.... an outstanding deal, and MUCH cheaper then other dive shops I've used. Even if their selling price was the same, the savings on annual service adds up really quick.

Beware, going into that nice big dive shop is dangerous. Like going into a restaurant when you are hungry, you'll want one of everything!

And no, I don't work for the shop... just another happy customer.

Jeff

farfromwater:
Beware, going into that nice big dive shop is dangerous. Like going into a restaurant when you are hungry, you'll want one of everything!
Jeff

Jeff, I actually went to Scubatoys Monday. My mom (who is my dive buddy) was in town for the day and met me there. You are right! It is a dangerous place to go in!! :11:

We spoke with Larry (as I had emailed him previously about some equiptment) and he was great. We didnt purchase Regs yet (as we have to make some decisions) but we did end up buying a few things for out Camera and Video Camera!

I will definitly go back when I am ready to purchase!!

Thanks!

oh, and where in BFE OKlahoma?? Go Pokes! (OSU Alum)

Without repeating what's already been said, I would add that a regulator, if properly cared for, will last for many years. I still have perfectly functioning regulators from the mid 80s.

I bring this up to say that you should get the very best you can afford. Things like wet suits will eventually break down and need replacement. Regulators you can keep pretty much forever (though you till probably want--but not likely need--a new one with the development of new technology). Rather than get a cheapie today and then buy a better one it two years, get a less expensive mask or other things and spend the most you can afford on getting the best regulator you can get. It will sure hurt less in the wallet in a couple of years.

ScubaDadMiami:
I bring this up to say that you should get the very best you can afford. Things like wet suits will eventually break down and need replacement. Regulators you can keep pretty much forever (though you till probably want--but not likely need--a new one with the development of new technology). Rather than get a cheapie today and then buy a better one it two years, get a less expensive mask or other things and spend the most you can afford on getting the best regulator you can get. It will sure hurt less in the wallet in a couple of years.

We are looking at purchasing the Tusa 130 as our reg... I hear it is a decent one and that we will like it... I guess our next big decision is if we want to go ahead and get the nitrox computer or wait until we can afford it... or just get a wrist computer later...

Decisions, Decisions. I've narrowed my choices down to 4 companies. How about Din Vs Yoke? From a technical point of view I haven't seen anything that suggests one is better than another. It appears to be a regional issue. I plan to dive primarily in Hawaii and Pacific Rim countries (looking forward to Bali, last time I was there was 1959)

havaiisteve:
Decisions, Decisions. I've narrowed my choices down to 4 companies. How about Din Vs Yoke? From a technical point of view I haven't seen anything that suggests one is better than another. It appears to be a regional issue. I plan to dive primarily in Hawaii and Pacific Rim countries (looking forward to Bali, last time I was there was 1959)

The world is moving steadily to DIN. Though the A-clamp style is not dangerous per se, it is not as secure as DIN. It can more easily dislodge if you bump your regulator against things like wrecks, etc.

The A-clamp design is limited to a working tank pressure that is less than the DIN design. Should you ever decide to get high pressure tanks (or rent them while traveling), you will have to convert your reglators at that time. Just in case you don't already know, there is no problem with putting a DIN regulator on a lower pressure tank; it's just the other way around that can't be done.

When you get a DIN conversion done to the regulator, ask your local dive shop to return the original clamp to you in case you ever need to convert it back in the future. You will find that you will never do it, but it is good to have just in case.

Last, purchase an adapter that you can bring with you for travel. This will quickly and easily connect your DIN first stage to standard valves, and there are no tools required to screw it on. This is something that you will likely end out needing for travel abroad. It is not very expensive.

In the end, going DIN (and purchasing the travel adapter) will keep all of your options open. Going A-clamp will limit your choices.

I don't pretend to know what type of DIN valve you would be most likely to run into abroad, but a thread-in adaptor that will convert 200 bar DIN valves to accept yoke regulators is available. Please note that this will NOT work on 300 bar DIN valves. Other than that consideration, the O-ring on a DIN valve to reg seal is less likely to extrude as it is completely contained in metal once the regulator is secured to the tank valve. This, to me, is a definite plus.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom