Choosing a Regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mle_osu

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
So what do I look for in a regulator (first purchase)? Do I just talk to the Diveshops? I mean, I know everyone will have their own opinions, but are there specific qualities I should look for (besides "does it work")?

Gosh! it has been so long since I have done my cert. dives! I havent written down any of the equipment names i have used since then (other certs or rentals) guess i should have... guess i could call the dive operators and ask what they used when we were there, but seems too much trouble...

i dont recall many variances in the regs i have used... i do know that i get dry/cotton mouth esp when i dive in Coz... and have read that the Sherwood Oasis reduces that (and there is a filter you can buy to reduce it too)

I think my best advice is to tell you that at this point I have 2 of everything. Take your time and do lots of research. For instance regs can be of piston design, or diaphram. Sealed or not. The list of features goes on. Use the search feature, and browse the equipment section. It will be a good resource for you.

Whatever you do take your time and try before you buy. You really dont want to wind up with 2 of every piece of equipment you own, half of which is slowly developing dry rot. :D

Safe diving

Seems like you answered your own question with what you deem important. If dry mouth is the problem (like myself) go with the Sherwood Oasis, Blizzard, or Maximus. These three regulators handle moisture in the same way; and can’t be beat in that respect. If you’re looking for easy WOB: Scubapro anything with a MK16 or MK 25 first stage should do the trick! The Aqua-Lung Legend or the Mares Abyss is fantastic for their easy work of breathing as well.

I’ve talked to some individuals who have used Apollo’s Bio-filter with mixed reviews. On one hand it does seem to work but it’s costly and requires extra maintenance. You would have to continually buy filters for the life of the unit.

mle_osu:
So what do I look for in a regulator (first purchase)? Do I just talk to the Diveshops? I mean, I know everyone will have their own opinions, but are there specific qualities I should look for (besides "does it work")?

I guess for a first stage, a major consideration is if you plan on diving cold water. If so you will likely want an environmentally sealed first stage that will prevent freezing.

My LDS, and most in the area I live in offers pool time for $10-15 for OW certified divers. For that cost you can use anything in their rental and student gear box. This will allow one to try at least some of the Regs you may want to consider. They may also have a few of the higher end regs available to try before you buy. In fact I know if you do buy, you get free pool time, and they will be happy to take a reg back in exchange for another, so that is a way to try what is in the store, but you have to put your good money down first, and you are then limited to what the store carries.

I use a Zeagle. It breaths easy, and I've been happy with it. As I live in CO, and the water is cold, I went with a sealed first stage. I have not dove anything below 60F, but I think I will shortly :11:

Good Luck...

Poseidon8118:
If you’re looking for easy WOB: Scubapro anything with a MK16 or MK 25 first stage should do the trick! .

WOB?

I would suggest narrowing down your list to 2-4 reg models.

IMO, first look at which manufacturers are sold at your LDSs so you can get it serviced easily. Second, if you plan on diving cold water (<55F IMO) I would definitely think about getting an environmentally sealed 1st stage. Third, eliminate the regs that are out of your price range. Fourth, look at mechanical design (a balanced 1st stage is generally better than piston). Fifth, find out it's service interval (typically every year) and how much the service will cost.

I like ScubaLab's reviews and information.

I see that you are Nitrox certified. To make your decision even more complicated... many manufacturers specify that their regulators should not be switched between air and enriched air. Check out this thread for some discussion on this topic.

Have a good time in Coz!

-Aaron

a lot of regs out of the box will dive up to 4o% o2, sherwood frist stage works great in ice and extream conditions. i dive with atomic z-1 second stage attached without any problems. the manufacture will tell you to service once a year but the LDS might break something that doesn't need fixing. i'm on my 3rd year with a perfect regs(2) without servicing. parts and labor is major income for shops.
when you buy, shop around. LDS will sell you what they have. it may not be what you need.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom